Katrina

Katrina

When I wake late the next morning Dracula is hard as a rock, and I have to pry myself out of his arms. I sit on the bed for a while and marvel at what had happened. Images of kisses and touches flash in my mind. Everything he said sounded so perfect. I loved this place. This little cabin in a forest of weeping willows, the black lake, the possibility of having it forever.

There was only one problem, I hate vampires.

Since I was a little girl, I'd had it in my head that vampires are the purest form of evil. And to add insult to injury, one had stolen one of my ancestors away from her baby and husband.

I climb out of the bed, still deep in thought.

The irony wasn't lost on me that the morning after I spent the night with a vampire, I had a delivery to make. I didn't know where it was, but I knew that if I wanted it there on time I would have to leave soon.

With my eyes on Dracula I cautiously open the door and let myself out, the sun is high in the sky and the day has already began. I figure that I won't have much luck with the gondola, so I take the long walk around the lake to the castle, where his car is still sitting out front.

While I walk, I continue to think. Yes, he's a vampire, yes, he's the same kind that stole my ancestor, yes, it's against everything I've been taught, but that didn't make anything he said last night less beautiful. He promised me a world of darkness and quiet. A world where I could be alone with my thoughts and where he would wait for me, no matter what length of time. It sounded beautiful, but could I really do it? Could I leave all my principles behind for this new life?

I'm still considering these things when I reach his car and find that the keys are still inside. I climb in and start it up and hope that I'll be able to find my way back. Luckily for me, though secluded, his castle lead right to the main road.

I easily find my way back to town and on the right track to my apartment, when the only thought that should have occurred to me occurred. The thought that should have been at the back of my mind constantly.

Rolf.

A life with Rolf would be a life filled with spontaneity, and laughter. He would make the perfect husband and eventually father. But I couldn't tell him about the family business, he wouldn't understand, it's too complicated. But could I leave him? It seemed impossible, how do you leave the only thing that kept you alive, the only thing that supported you when you needed it most?

With Dracula I would leave the family business behind. I would become a creature of the night, forever young, immortally beautiful. It was such a strange thought I hardly believed it was a valid option, I had to finger the faint scar on my neck to convince myself that it wasn't all a dream.

It was a ridiculous notion of course, and I chastised myself for even considering it, but the whole way home I couldn't quite shake it from my mind.

When I reach my apartment I park in my usual spot and feel around for my keys. I left my purse inside. I groan, I'm still wearing the cocktail dress from the night before and it's torn in a few places so I don't want to have to ask the person at the desk to let me in. But seeing as I have no other alternative I trudge inside.

There's a man behind the desk and I could tell that he'd pulled an all-nighter, there were impressive bags under his eyes and I was welcomed by a huge yawn.

"I'm sorry," I began. "But I don't seem to have my keys, could you let me in to my apartment?" I smile at him, hoping he won't ask questions.

His eyes survey my torn dress and he seems to wake up.