Daciana

Daciana

After I am dismissed by my husband I roam the castle in search of a diversion, but every where I look I am reminded of him.

I find myself in the library, a large room lined with bookshelves except for the north wall which is taken up by an immense stone fireplace, and above the fireplace is a painting of Dracula.

It's a painting from the old times when we were newly married, even though it's identical to his present state. But there's something about him that seems lighter, happier almost, though I've never known him to be truly happy. Age has affected him. It's worn him down.

I wish he would let me take care of him, let me love him. I could take all the pain away, I could make him happy.

With these thoughts in mind I go back to the tower to see him again. As I approach I hear the familiar ripping sound of him shifting into a bat. I enter the small room and watch as he flies away toward town, nearly invisible in the midnight fog.

I lean against the window, like he had been doing moments ago. He had wanted me to go to town.

I know that he would be furious if he found out that I was following him, so I'm careful not to make a noise as I creep past Elisabeta's room.

I don a trench coat and slip out the door, with no sign of Drac. I walk around the castle to the garage where our vehicles are kept. I select an old unassuming Ford. I drive carefully into town aware of the swirling fog around me.

I see a figure about his height with dark hair walk into a local bar, I park the Ford about a block away and follow him in.

He sits with his back to me as I enter. I know that if he turns around he'll see me. Eyes follow me from the moment I walk in, but I am accustomed to being stared at. I meet the eyes of a young bartender and slide onto a stool.

"On the house," the bartender says sliding me a shot.

"No thank you." I say, flashing him an impressive smile. "Would you mind giving it to that gentleman over there?" I indicate my husband.

"Of course not." He says and makes the delivery. I arrange my features, knowing that soon he would turn around and see me. He would probably approach me. Maybe we could talk and I could explain to him how I feel. Maybe we could really connect like we hadn't for so long.

The bartender hands the man the shot and he takes it gladly. He spins around in his chair to face me.

It's not him.

He's a young attractive man. He has dark hair and pale skin. But he is not Dracula. My eyes grow wide as he walks over to me. His eyes take in my lacy dress and hairdo.

"Do I know you?" He asks leaning closer to me. His breath reeks of alcohol. I am infuriated, I can hardly see from rage.

"I don't think so." I smile coyly, "Would you like to?" I rise from my stool, careful to maintain eye contact, lest he wake up from the trance.

He follows me out of the bar and into an alley.

"So do you want to come back to my place or something?" He offers drunkenly.

I don't answer his question, instead I leap onto his back, sinking my fangs into his neck. His body folds in on itself and we fall to the ground as I drain his body. It tastes metallic but the steady flow calms me and when I leave his lifeless body I can see clearly.

The wind picks up and I catch a faint scent of the man I was looking for. I run to the other side of the alley in an effort to see him. He stands not five feet from me and I see him shift again, this time to a mist.

But it's the word I hear him utter that sends me to my knees. A whisper so soft, I doubt he even realized it.

Katrina.