Part 30- Epilogue

EPILOGUE.

The evenings were getting cool but it was a clear and dry night as the limousine pulled up at the Berk Bifrost Movie Theatre for the World Premiere of 'Son of Odin'. Berk Town was in a frenzy and half the population as well as a lot of out-of-towners were crowded around the Theatre, held back by the barriers as the well-meaning and impeccably bearded police force. There was cheering and double life-size posters of everyone in the film were displayed leading up the red carpet. The World's Press were clustered all alongside the red carpet, stopping the new arrivals as they made their way in. The twins, Heather, Fishlegs, Dagur and Justin had already arrived and been seated while Eret had been extended an invitation but had declined on the grounds he really didn't deserve it. Dagur had been proud that his boyfriend was showing occasional flashes of maturity and had gone without him to join their friends while Eret spent the evening working at 'the Muttonheads' Bar'.

"This is it," Finn said as the limousine pulled up at the end of the Red Carpet. Astrid was wearing the beautiful white satin gown with her pale gold shoes and purse from the Prom and her Mom's golden cashmere stole around her shoulders. Hiccup had stuck to his simple tuxedo and dress trousers in simple black with white dress shirt and black bow tie, his eyes dark with anxiety. Stoick, Gobber and Ingrid were already inside the theatre and seated but Finn had promised to look after his niece. "Relax."

Astrid gave him a 'really?' look as he grinned.

"You are beautiful, my niece and you have nothing to fear," Finn told her. "You look like the perfect Valkyrie and you survived High School despite everything that happened and all the misunderstandings that ensued. You and Hiccup are at College now, adults and living away from home! And now you are at here, at a Premiere you couldn't possibly have imagined attending when this year started." Then he smiled. "And you're here with your Hiccup and your friends."

"What if I mess up?" she asked, the faintest hint of anxiety in her voice.

"Astrid-you can't," Hiccup told her gently. "You are the girl who stepped up and became a Valkyrie because your Uncle needed your help. You did your best-and that is all you can possibly do. And I am proud to walk by you."

"And me," Finn said. "And just think. You are a just-graduated Berkian student. You are a role model for all those young girls out there who want to believe that anything is possible! And your Dad would be so proud of you. So walk out of there and think of him. Smile and wave to him. We are all with you!"

"Remember-this is a gift," Hiccup murmured in her ear. "A thank you for helping Finn. Something you may never get to do again. Finn is the expert and he wouldn't allow your performance to ruin millions of dollars of work. So you must be good. Enjoy the experience and treasure the memory. I am with you."

And so she let Finn and Hiccup emerge first and then took her boyfriend's hand as she climbed out of the limousine. If her grip was fierce, Hiccup never let on, walking alongside her, their hands twined and smiling as they followed Finn. Both of them smiled and talked to the waiting Berkians, never refusing a picture or a word...and then they were at the Press. A few words here and there were all that was required since Dane was due to arrive and Hiccup winked at him as he emerged from his limousine. The star had spent the previous evening with Stoick, Gobber and Finn playing Viking Raiders-the Board Game. Hiccup had no idea of the outcome except that all four men had been asleep all over the living room amid a drift of beer bottles and empty pizza boxes.

The rest was a blur-getting seated, snuggling up to Hiccup, finally watching the movie and getting caught up in the story and then trying not to cringe at their own performances. The others were whispering excitedly as their brief appearances flashed up in the climactic battle and there were cheers when the Valkyrie saved the Son of Odin. Astrid looked up-to see Dane wink at her before schooling his face and turning back to the screen. And there were 'awwws' at the coda where she returned to her Viking in the end. The critics were scribbling, the friends and family were whispering and everyone made their way to the After Party, a sense of relief palpable.

"So that's it?" Heather asked as the gang regrouped. "It's over?" Astrid grabbed a small flute of champagne and then handed one to Hiccup.

"No-now people get to see it and make their own judgement," she said. "And on Monday, Hiccup and I are back in classes in Archi U. College won't wait just because we have had the most wonderful treat. Life goes on. This will always be a part of me-of us-but it's not the most important part. I'm Astrid Hofferson, student at Archipelago U and Hiccup's girlfriend. And your friend. I'm not an actress or a star-I'm just a normal girl with normal friends."

"And the most amazing Valkyrie," Hiccup reminded her. She smiled and kissed him.

"I am so glad that I chose to see what was not obvious," she said. "I chose the guy who cared, who was willing to risk himself to be with me rather than the people who only wanted me for what they could get from me. I learned to see beyond the obvious. And I have friends I want to keep."

"Friends who may actually be at the same school as you," Fishlegs pointed out.

"Well, you and Heather and the twins," Hiccup added. "Dagur's at Dragonia and Snotlout is here on Berk, doing a course in Sports Management." Astrid handed out glasses to the others and then smiled, seeing her Mom, Finn, Stoick, Gobber and Dane approaching.

"Here's to true friends," she said. "Those who see past face value and stand by you, through thick and thin, through trouble and adversity. The friends you want to keep for a lifetime."

"To friends!" Finn said.

"To us," Hiccup murmured, leaning close. "And especially you. Before this all happened, no one paid you attention. And now, everyone is looking at you. You're the most beautiful woman in this room-and I am the luckiest man." She pressed a kiss onto his cheek.

"To us," she replied with a blinding smile. "To Hiccup and Astrid."

"And whatever life throws at us-I know I have you," he said. "My personal Valkyrie."

"My Viking," she murmured and kissed him again.

The End.

.

A/N: Thanks for sticking with me to the end of this story. Best wishes-harrypanther.