Chapter 23

————-
I wish someone
would've told me
There was no point in
Loving you
————-
There was once a time where I craved, begged, yearned,

For my mother's love.

It was a harsh awakening, to know once I lost one of my parental figures, the other would not try and make up for it. I never once received adoration. However, I got what I asked for, attention, but in no way was it in an affectionate manner. Every little mistake was recalled and beat into my head till I was bleeding on the floor. If I took too many breaths it was ensured next time she'd make me hold it in till my face turned blue. Sometimes the only thing I'd taste was the dirt and grime off the ground whenever she'd place her foot on my head, my face would be squashed, pushing it down like it was a rotten fruit to be crushed if she tried hard enough. I would come to school with purple and yellow blotches all over. Bandages would cover me head to toe looking like a mummy. If I dared anything, one little thing, it was sworn that I would be six feet under eating the words I spoke.

All those memories seemed to wipe my thoughts clean of when we were once one big happy family.

Happy,

I had forgotten how easily that feeling could completely disappear.
————-
(Y/N) P.O.V
These days people are hard-wired to be attracted to those who are warm hearted, joyful, and welcoming because that is the expected traits of those who are admired by others. I am by no means the most 'lovable' or 'approachable' it wasn't that hard to face the truth but, I need to learn. I was even stunned by the conclusion my mind made up in order to do so. I want to be strong, I want to be well rounded, I want to improve, I can't stand being weak anymore.

Standing where I was in front of the person that barely showed up in my personal life, but was always mentioned, it felt like I threw myself right into the belly of the beast. My heart still beats, but against a chest that felt hollow. The eye contact was shortening every breath and it almost felt, suffocating. My knees could buckle from the weight of my hero costume case however I don't dare lose my grip, if it drops the echo would go on forever in this huge office of hers.

"I'm so glad I get to see you so soon, little sis," I felt like a statue yet my fingers twitched signalling I could move if I pleased. Her voice was so smooth and soothing almost like a string from a harp was being plucked.

"Thank you for your offer, I'm honoured to be here at your agency Hikari," I lean forward for a bow and struck back upward but still staring at the floor.

"Don't sound so robotic, we're family after all," family, right, I'm related to her, that fact is still so hard to believe even now, yet it haunts me every time I go to bed. I know so much about her yet we're complete strangers.

"Yes of course, I apologize."

"That's alright! You should get changed, we're going to start work right away," I nod and she points to where I can do so. I slip off my school uniform and before putting on my costume I take a second to gaze at my reflection in the mirror. Normally, I wouldn't have the luxury of doing so at home, or in school, because now it's just me in this small cubicle space with a mirror. I do not see what my classmates see, I was no where close to her.

My eyes roam critically from one feature to another, cataloging it in my brain. How my ribs were seen with only a thin layer of skin to lay over it. How my wrists were almost the size of bottle caps. How every large cut had been stitched closed or treated. How I looked so frail and thin that if the wind blew hard enough I could float away. Scratches were covered with bandaids and my newly wrapped bandages were not yet soaked with blood from a wound reopening. Mother gave me quite a hard time before coming here, it laid fresh and new against my skin. Just another brutal reminder how I was undeserving of living in this world. Despite all that, it was as if I was wearing goggles that made me look so...