xxii. | the ascension ceremony

♔︎␈♔︎

♔︎␈♔︎

FALO STOOD IN THE COMMANDER CHAMBERS. She stood in the middle of the room as people got her ready for the ceremony. Roan stood in the room, making sure he wasn't looking as she got dressed, his eyes glued to the bloodstained ground.

They dressed her in black pants, a huge long-sleeved black shirt that was ripped at the bottom to make a skirt looking thing around the pants, black boots, a strange looking corset around her torso, belts around the corset to tie it up, a black cloak attached to a metal shoulder piece, a red cloak attack to a bigger metal shoulder piece, a shoulder harness that went underneath the cloaks, and an arm brace on both arms. After they were done dressing her, they smeared charcoal all around her eyes.

As they did all this, Falo had to force her tears in. She knew these clothes once belonged to Lexa.

One of the people grabbed her hair and re-braided it on one side of her head, making sure the Trikru emblem in her hair didn't scratch her or anything.

Once they were done, they stepped away and hurried out of the room. Falo picked up her swords and slid them into her sword holsters, clenching her jaw.

"Scared?" Roan asked, walking towards her.

She nodded. "We both know I'm no true nightblood. They transfusioned Ontari's blood into me to save my life. . . it might go all wrong and kill me."

"It won't," he sighed. "And you have to become commander to unite our people, and to save Clarke and the others."

"Okay, you're right."

"I know."

He walked behind her as knelt down, moving her hair away from her neck. He picked up a scalpel and carefully made a small incision line. Falo tensed up, the stinging sensation of it catching her by surprise. She'd thought it might hurt more.

"Ascende superious." Roan said. The wires spindled out of the Flame, reaching out for Falo. He lowered it into her deep wound and watched as it sucked itself inside of her. She balled her fists up from the pain it gave her.

Her vision darkened, causing her to collaspe onto the ground. Roan picked her up and placed her on the bed. He flipped her on her stomach and moved her hair. He picked up a needle and some thread, pushing the cut together as he stabbed the needle through. He continued to stitch it up until it was completely sewn. He flipped her back on her back and waited for her to wake up.

Soon enough, Falo's eyes fluttered open and she got up. "It worked." she breathed out in amazement.

He smiled and nodded before he walked over to the door and opened it, whispering to the guards to blow the horns to signal the ceremony is starting.

____

ROAN LED FALO to the front of the throne room where crowds of people awaited, including Clarke, Bellamy, Murphy, Kane, Abby, and Octavia. She could feel the gazes of everyone on her and she felt like they knew she wasn't really a nightblood, but what she didn't know was that they completely believed she was nightblood who managed to hide the color of her blood for nineteen years.

She stood at the front of the crowd, head held high, and posture straightened to show she was going to be a good commander just like Lexa had been.

Clarke held her eye contact and gave her a nod of encouragement. Falo keep her face straight, showing no emotion, but her brown eyes held a hint of sadness.

Rio and dad would be so proud, she thought to herself, trying so hard to keep herself together.

Her eyes drifted over the crowd and met Indra's eyes. Indra couldn't help but smile, her eyes holding a hint of proudness as she stared up at Falo.

"Recite the lineage of all the Commander's before." Roan told her.

She nodded. "Bekka Pramheda," then she continued on and on until she got to Shiedheda, her blood turning cold. "Shiedheda, Maffei kom Boudalankru, Kemji kom Trishanakru, Lexa kom Trikru." she looked at Roan and he nodded.

He grabbed her arm and raised it high in the air. "The lineage is correct. The commanders have accepted Falo as commander. Hail Falo kom Trikru!" 

Everyone erupted into cheers.

"May the spirits of the commanders guide you." Roan whispered in her ear.

____

FALO sat on her throne, arms resting on the arm rests as Clarke and most of Skaikru stood in front of her.

"Are you coming back to Arkadia with us?" Clarke asked in hope.

She shook her head. "Clarke, I'm the commander now. I can't just leave my people."

"Right."

"It's weird to think of you as the commander now." Octavia chuckled.

"It really is," she sighed. "When your people figure out a way to save us all, I'll do everything I can to help."

Bellamy stepped forward. "Do you know if there's another Mount Weather?"

Falo stared at him, unsure. Voices of so many commanders swarmed her mind, but they all said the same thing: we know of no bunker that can  help you and the other clans.

"None that I know of."

He nodded sadly.

"I promise I'm going to save everyone." Clarke told her.

"I know you will, Clarke."