Preview

The Gala

"What the hell are you staring at moron? We're on an important assignment so focus." Davide whispered harshly, eyes scanning the room habitually as they stood by a marble pillar on the second floor overseeing those below, partially hidden by wandering eyes.

"Your daughter."

"What?" he muttered before spying the being that had managed to distract his usually attentive student on the floor below them. His eyes widened into saucers and his mouth flapped open. He blinked rapidly, throat drying as his eyes trailed down her attire for the evening. He brushed a nervous hand over his mouth, jaw ticking. "Tell me Jesse, is my daughter here...at this highly dangerous gala wearing a highly hazardous outfit?"

"That would be correct," Jesse stated, so paralysed by her presence that he had trouble averting his gaze. His eyes trailed down her form with nothing short of awe, speechless beyond measure. So enthralling she was that she had the whole room whispering and yet she didn't seem to care. Her face remained calm but her eyes were blazing with an emotion he couldn't decipher; as if her very purpose was to be here at this gala and wreak havoc. It was nothing short of her usual daredevil attitude and yet she seemed different. He realised with a start that she was putting up a front, a mask to shield herself from whatever would happen tonight. It's like she knew she was in the shark's den and had to tread carefully. Once again, her past became a focal point in his thoughts; what had happened to his master's daughter for her to be this way? He had countless questions, questions that he knew would never be answered unless she willingly surrendered--which he doubted. It wasn't in her nature.

Davide noticing the direction of his stare placed a casual hand on his shoulder, squeezing once as warning. "I'd appreciate it if you stopped ogling my daughter, moron."

"I wasn't ogling--I was admiring."

"Do you have a death wish, boy?" Davide grinned toothily, acting as if the two were in the middle of a very friendly conversation.

Jesse almost rolled his eyes at the sight of his master's barely-controlled aggression, wincing at the force behind his hand. "Jesus, you should be happy someone's interested in such a devilish woman. Other men would run from the first encounter--your daughter's not exactly approachable."

"Yeah and I prefer it stay that way," grunted Davide.

"Well don't count on that," Jesse murmured, casually glancing over as the son of the host approached Selina, a charming and most innocent smile placed on his handsome face. "Looks like Montague junior is interested." He strained to remain neutral, eyeing the hand he had just placed on her arm. He wanted to rip it off. Other menacing thoughts raced through his mind, when he realised that he had no real reason to worry. The woman had shown her admirable capabilities so he was aware that she could take care of herself. Still, the interaction didn't sit well with him. Especially when he realised that they were heading up the winding staircase and towards the V.I.P room on the other side of the room. 

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," hissed Davide under his breath. "I'm about to kill someone. How dare she attend this event--today of all days! Wait till she gets home. I'm grounding her for life!"

~*~

This is just a preview while I write at least ten chapters and get all the details sorted out! Let me know what you think, I'm going to try and write darker so let's see how it goes :)

Z M. Ivy