f o r t y - t h r e e

Start from the beginning

"Is she--" Gray began to cough, just as he walked in and Elle woke with a gasp. You glared at Gray as she pushed herself up.

"Mama?" she asked, tearing up. You sighed as she sat up.

"Just me," you whispered. She looked up at you, eyelids heavy as she rubbed at them with her balled-up fists.

"Daddy?" she asked, crawling to you. She sat in your lap, head against your chest. Gray sat with you, reaching over to her.

He pulled her hand to her and she watched as he gently took your ring from her. "Thanks, pumpkin," he whispered, sliding it back onto your finger.

She frowned at him, turning up to look at you. You nodded, standing with her on your hip. "I know, I'm mad at him too," you said. She rested her head against your shoulder.

"Miss nap time," she said, eyes narrowing. He bit back a smile as you pulled your sheets back into place.

"I know, I know-- I was at work, right? And uncle Gray got caught up and--"

"Miss naptime." He smiled, arms out. You passed her over and she hit him in the shoulder before wrapping her arms around his neck. He chuckled and hugged her.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. She kissed his cheek and let him carry her down behind you.

"Apple juice, Elle?" you asked. She nodded, giggling as you walked into the kitchen.

"Yes, please!" Gray sat her on the counter as you grabbed the box from the fridge. Pouring it into the sippy cup she left at your place, you handed it to her. "Thank you very much."

"You're very welcome." Gray leaned against the fridge and you nudged him over as you headed over to put the juice away.

"'most done!" you heard. You looked away from him. Gray to look over at her as well. "Want some?" she asked. You smiled.

"We're good," you said with a smile. She nodded and reached out one arm as she drank. Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I got it," Gray said, winking at Elle as he walked past her. You smiled, pulling her off of the counter and set her on the floor. She waddled towards Gray as he opened the door to let E and e/w in.

"Daddy!" Elle screamed. Gray smiled, stepping back into place with you as she ran to him.

He scooped her up and carried her in. "Hi, princess!" Gray locked the door behind e/w and she thanked him.

"How'd it go?" you asked. She smiled.

"I think I've got everything for now." You nodded. "Everything's the same as I took with Elle."

"Well, that--"

"Playdough, daddy!" you heard. You smiled as she ran to you. "Playdough, y/nn?"

"I'll get it for you?" She nodded.

"Yes, please!" You smiled and headed over to where you'd kept the bag. "Red, mama," she said, pointing to it.

"Wow, baby." She nodded proudly and you handed it to Ethan.

"Anything to drink?" you asked them both. Ethan let out a sigh as he headed over to your couches to sit. Elle ran to him, reaching for the bag of play dough he had.

"I'd like some apple juice," e/w said. You smiled.

You took the empty sippy cup Elle had handed to Grayson and walked past him to get e/w some apple juice. She sat in a stool by the island as you heard Ethan and Elle arguing in the living room about when she would be able to play with the play dough.