Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"I believe it's not the humans of the town that are making the situation into... well, a situation. Apparently, some men came through a couple of weeks ago. They are Gatherers. What we call the people who kidnap women for The Gathering. Now, we nor the town never let them do business or take women from around here. But we can't exactly run them off for doing nothing. I think these men are the ones who heard this rumor and are trying to rile up enough people to do something."

At Eric's words, the noise level in the office was once more filled with loud voices and growls.

"Wait. Wait! So, that's good don't you see? If they are in fact the people adding fuel to the fire, and the town's people already don't like them, then just use that to diffuse the situation!" I raised my voice to speak over the noise.

Jonah nodded, his arm wrapping around my waist. "My mate is right. Most of us stay clear of the humans around our pack territories but you have told us you have a much friendlier arrangement with the town. A mutually beneficial one. The town won't want to risk that simply based on the words of untrustworthy outsiders if you can find a way to prove to them it's a lie."

Eric nodded. "That's a good idea. But how do we prove to them it's a lie? We don't let them come to our territory. For safety reasons, as I'm sure you understand. The same reason is why we've been keeping the plane survivors here and not letting them go into town a lot. So how do we convince them it's false, knowing that? And how do we do that before any action is taken?"

Just then Eric's Beta walked in. I had not realized he was missing until now but, by the look on his face, I could tell there was a good reason for his absence. Or a very bad one.

Ignoring everyone, he looked towards Eric. "I'm sorry, Alpha. But I have some news. I was speaking with the pack members we sent for the supply run last week and they remembered something they heard in town about a rash of women being kidnapped randomly throughout the entire country."

"What do you mean women being kidnapped randomly? Gatherers? Why are we just now hearing of this?" Eric demanded in a snarl.

His Beta and many other pack members lowered their heads a little in what I could only assume was a submissive gesture.

"They didn't recall it until now and at the time thought it was either just a tale being spread around or a positive thing. See, it's not Gatherer's. In fact, apparently, all of these women who are being kidnapped are victims of The Gathering themselves. The people they're being taken from are their buyers."

Shocked silence filled the room but I was intrigued. "That's a good thing, then! Isn't it? These women are being rescued!"

The Beta shook his head. "No, Luna Emilia. It is. But not for us. Right now this story is just hearsay. Enough evidence to know women are being kidnapped but nothing else. Despite the humans in the nearby town not condoning the kidnapping of women and The Gathering, they won't stand by and allow any type of kidnapping. Even if it's from those who are victims of The Gathering trying to escape. At least, not publicly."

"But I don't understand. That's crazy! It shouldn't matter if these women want to escape by any means they can. If they really are being rescued then I'm assuming only the women who need to leave are being rescued. The ones who are in terrible situations!"

Eric growled. "While I agree. What does this have to do with our immediate situation?"

His Beta cleared his throat. "Right. Well, see, whoever spread the word or however they learned of the humans staying here, they weren't exactly told where these humans came from. So, they heard the rumor of the women who have been going missing for the past 6 months now and then heard of the sudden appearance of a group of humans being held here. Now, the townspeople may actually be giving some credibility to these rumors. What I'm saying is, it may not even be about the fact we have a group of humans as much as it is they think we are kidnapping women and holding them here."

Ana and Clarisse gasped while all of the men growled or yelled. My eyes widened and I looked up at Jonah. "This situation just got much more serious. We need to figure something out now."

Jonah opened his mouth to say something as a muffled scream from outside filled the air and the scent of smoke wafted from under the office door.

"I think it's too late for that."