Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

I shake my head, "So, someone told them things that aren't true. Or at least exaggerated versions of the truth. But I don't understand who would do that. Why? And it sounds like if you're sure no stranger can get here undetected the only option is someone got out without anyone knowing. But I don't understand why any of the plane survivors would do that. Not only did you guys save them, but this past week has seemed great!"

Sighing in frustration Jonah answered. "I agree. That's what is so frustrating and why Eric is sending someone. He's hoping we can either find out how they found out or find a way to defuse the situation. The last thing we need is this leading to a situation where they try to come here to take people."

"I just don't see how anyone would do this," I groan and massage my temple. "I really don't."

Standing up, Jonah holds out a hand. "Come on. Let's go meet up with the others downstairs. They're probably all talking about it in Alpha Eric's office right now."

I chuckle and roll my eyes at him still using Eric's title but take his hand to follow. "Okay. I just hope there's something we've overlooked and it's not someone here trying to cause problems."

Kissing my forehead and pulling me out the door of our bedroom, Jonah agrees with me.

When we got downstairs it was to a lot of raised voices that even I, a human, could hear through the thick wooden door of Eric's office. Not so much as yelling at each other as it was people with differing opinions trying to be heard over others.

Walking in, I was shocked to see a few humans in the office as well as quite a few shifters. Two of whom were the Doctor and Clarisse. The latter was even more shocking to me, seeing how she had made it no secret how she felt about being here.

A strange feeling went through my body but I shook it off. I was just being paranoid.

Seeing us enter the room, silence fell. Until Eric broke it from his place behind his chair, standing with his hands on Ana's shoulders. "So, we are sending a runner into town to try and find a way to fix things from that end while we increase our border patrol units. As you can see, Alpha Jonah, Luna Emilia, we decided this situation was important enough to let the humans here know. If we are unable to de-escalate this situation or find who caused it in the first place, it is highly problematic. When I say this, I mean it. Not just for us but also for all of you humans from the past. These humans here, the ones getting all angry over you being kept in our territory, are not getting angry because of any humane reason. They're angry because there are females here and they want females. It is as simple as that. They will try and kill the human males just as much as they'll try and kill us shifters. They'll steal the women and, at best, sell them to The Gathering. At worst, they'll rape and pass the females along to each other. This is a serious and potentially deadly problem for all of us here."

There were lots of murmurs after that statement, mainly from the humans in the room.

"Quiet. Please." Eric's voice interrupted them in a barely raised voice, but once which carried. "I am not saying this to scare you. Though being aware enough of the situation to be scared is necessary."

With a furrowed brow I spoke. "In all honesty, I feel the only way we may be able to de-escalate this situation is to somehow make them stand down. I'm sure many of the town people don't want to cause problems with your pack. You said before you guys were particularly close to each other since you protect them. So, why would they even be ruining all of that simply based on a rumor?"

Ana shifted and spoke, "I was thinking that as well. We've never had a problem with them before."

I saw many of the shifters nod and murmur in agreement.