Chapter Seven

I run down the hall, heart hammering. Having no idea where to go or where I even want to be, I claw at the bracelets on my wrist. Per usual, it's in vain. They're too tight and my wrists are red from trying to get them off. These are not just bracelets; they're shackles meant to keep me contained and under Maven's control.

Samson Merandus stops me in my path and I stop just before ramming into him. He looks down at me, a menacing smile plastered on his face. "Where are you going?" he asks, "Did you get lost on your way to Maven? He's down stairs."

"Leave me alone," I grumble.

I push past him and his taunting but I hear him snicker behind me as he can see everything going on in my mind.

I turn the corner to my room and yank the door open. Usually there would be red maids here but ever since Walsh was found out and she died, I have not been allowed contact with any Reds. Instead, it's empty. Not just devoid of maids. My few belongings aren't here. It was all probably moved to Maven's rooms. The bed is newly made and everything is cleaner than I left it this morning while I got ready for the wedding.

I lock the door behind me and sit down, trying to figure out what to do. Elane told me to disappear, but what is it to her? I want to go home. I miss Mom and Dad and my siblings. And I can't help but wonder what Shade would think if he were alive and saw me here, about to marry the king of the country that sent him to his death.

A knock on the door startles me from my thoughts. Staying silent, I wait for another knock. The knocks become more urgent. Someone curses and I recognize Maven's voice.

If he wants to open the door so badly, then he can burn the handle off.

"Mare, open the door," he sighs. "Just let me talk to you."

I walk towards the door and rest my forehead against the cold wood. "I know we made a deal. Just let me get myself together."

"I'll be waiting right here," Maven says.

I go into the bathroom and dab at my eyes, getting rid of the smudged makeup beneath them. I fix my hair, the curled, graying ends reminding me of my life in the Stilts. This is for them, I tell myself. Marry Maven and protect my family and the other Reds.

One life in exchange for countless others. That's hardly a sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

After a few minutes, I collect myself and I open the door. Before I can say a word, Maven embraces me, hugging me tightly. There is nothing malicious here but I do not hug him back. Instead, I keep my arms to my sides. A part of me wants to cry and hug him back. To convince myself that a small, salvageable piece of the Maven I used to know is here.

But when he lets me go and I look into his eyes, it is as if I am standing in front of a wall of blue and white fire, about to let it consume me at any second. When he puts his hand out for me to take, I take it, shivering as our hands touch. Letting him lead me downstairs to the throne room, my eyes scan every corner for Evangeline, Elara, or Elane.

"What are you looking for?" Maven asks, a bit annoyed.

"Anyone who's lurking," I respond. "She told me to disappear, you know."

Maven stops walking. "What? Who?"

"Elane."

"Ignore her," he snaps. Then, he smiles almost calmly. "You're going to be queen. We can handle anyone who crosses us together." His words sound like a promise but there is a poisonous edge behind them.

Finally, we reach the throne room and I look around to see that plain, gray blocks have been embedded in the walls. On the dais where the throne used to be, there are not two thrones of the same gray blocks. It only takes me a second to realize what it is.

"Silent stone," Maven muses as if he were talking about the greatest discovery the world has ever seen.

Maven is not stupid. He wouldn't block his own ability for nothing. Looking around at the Silver nobles, I smile to myself a bit, knowing that they cannot use their abilities. How does it feel to be powerless? I want to ask. But if I am to survive as their queen, I better not taunt anyone. Not directly, at least.

"To protect us, I assume?" I can't help but smile as I talk because a twisted part of me is entertained by the look of betrayal on the Silver elite's faces as they watch us walk in and up to the dais.

"Of course." Maven stands in front of his throne and I stand in front of the smaller one next to his. "No one is going to get in the way of my plans."

The wedding and coronation are quick. Maven watches his—our—guests warily, as if they are about to try anything to undermine us. The vulnerability on his face grounds me a little. The officiant is of House Merandus. Exchanging rings, we say our vows quickly and Maven rushes the ceremony, probably so that I do not have any time to change my mind or run. The sentinels surround us, almost too closely and I feel suffocated the entire time.

After our vows, Maven kisses me slowly, showing off for the cameras that are broadcasting this. No doubt that the Scarlet Guard will see this. I try not to think about Cal. Anything we could have had was doomed from the start. I knew that as I danced with him and kissed him. When I saw him with Evangeline, who he swore he had no feelings for and yet, I was hurt. And still, when given the chance to die with him, I chose Maven and the crown over him.

Betrothed to a girl who had eyes for another, for the brother, the prince no one could ever ignore. He was right. I will always have eyes for another. Another who is gone. Who I betrayed and left to die because I am selfish.

We are both crowned by Elara before she is ushered away from us by the guards. Our crowns are made of iron and steel, twisted into flames at the top. House Samos eyes the intricate metal. Evangeline's face in the crowd tells me that she wishes that she could use the crown to rip my throat out. If she could kill with her looks the way she can with knives, I would have died at least three gruesome deaths in the past twenty minutes.

Before we step off of the dais, Maven takes my hand in his as we turn to the crowd once more.

"Long live King Maven Calore and Queen Mare Calore." Everyone says the words automatically, though some people keep bitter expressions on their faces. Maven Glares at anyone who is unsmiling and who can be a possible threat to us or his rule.

Queen Mare Calore. Not Princess Mareena. Mare. I replay it in my head, unable to believe it and unsure if I even want to. But there is no going back now. This is going to be the rest of my life.

"We would love to stay for a celebration but we must get going," Maven says to the crowd.

"What?" I whisper. He never said anything about going anywhere.

He smiles at me, playing the role of the ever-doting husband in front of his court. Pageantry is one of his greatest skills. That and deception, lying, and betrayal.

"We're going on a little trip," Maven whispers in my ear before we walk through the confused crowd and out the door.

I look over my shoulder, wishing someone from the Scarlet Guard was here to save me. Making eye contact with a camera, I mouth, I'm sorry. I had my chance to run and I neglected it. There's nowhere to go except where Maven leads me. 

Author's Note: Thank you to all of my readers. I hope you're enjoying the story! I think that I am going to start updating every Friday, so stay tuned for more chapters.  :)