Chapter Twenty-five

"This is useless, Evangeline." I try to twist my wrists out of the iron manacles she's crafted. For the past two hours, I've been here, sitting in front of her crude metal throne while she watches me like a hawk. It's not like I'd try leaving; I am not that foolish. And Evangeline Samos—Princess Evangeline Samos—is not foolish enough to use silent stone. Not when it could diminish her power.

She runs a long finger over the arm of the throne, keeping her eyes down. "No it's not. He'll be here any minute, ready to rain hell upon us." She chuckles darkly. "Right into my trap."

"Then what?" I shift uncomfortably, wincing as my raw wrist chafes against the metal for what feels like the thousandth time. "You'll kill me?"

The princess pales. "I'll figure that out when I get there."

Now, it's my turn to laugh. "That's not going to accomplish anything. You're only making more enemies." I shrug and lean my head back against the chair.

My head has been pounding since the second I woke up here, after being knocked out by guards that were supposed to be Maven's. Supposed to be mine. Traitors. The whole lot of them. Greenwardens and Nymphs, along with some Shadows. They'd practically dropped me at Evangeline's feet, barely conscious.

"We already are enemies."

Evangeline stands and stretches, glancing behind me. She nods at someone I cannot see. Closing my eyes at the expectation of being attacked, I try to steady my now hammering heartbeat. She laughs, a piercing, menacing thing, and my eyes spring open.Great.

"Hi, Elane," I say. "I'd wave but...." I lift my hands up so she can see.

She ignores me and takes Evangeline's face in her hands. "Can you stop tormenting for five minutes? I need you for a few minutes."

The manacles tighten and I curse.

"Don't try anything, Little Lightning Girl." Evangeline follows Elane out, locking the door.

"Wouldn't dream of it!" I shout.

My ears strain to hear for anyone in the hall. I am not tied to the chair so I stand up and walk around, my gait a bit off from the events of the night. A glance out one of the great windows tells me it's nearly dawn. I roll my sore shoulders back as I walk about the grand throne room. It's not too shabby. Not as nice as back at Whitefire, but I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

It was dumb of Evangeline to not leave any guards here. Especially when she did not bother to use silent stone. She takes too much pride in herself if she thought that she'd be powerful enough to keep me in this room without trying anything. And with no guards...

Purple lightning sizzles in my hands, it shocks me at first, thanks to the manacles. I gasp at the stinging, sharp, prickle of my own power turning against me. I feel for the electricity in the walls, in the lights. The lights go out almost instantly, sparking and sizzling.

Adrenaline rushes through my entire body and though I cannot do much with my hands but shoot out lightning from my fingertips, I run. Run like hell to the door. If I run hard enough, use all my weight, I can break through the door.

My body hits the door with all the force of hitting the pavement. Something in my right shoulder cracks. All I can see is stars as I sink to the ground. The lightning bursts throughout the entire room, cracking windows, bringing down a chandelier. I don't have time to look at the destruction.

The door swings open and I crack my head on the ground. Volo Samons stands over me. "Get up," he snarls. "Your husband is here to save you."

Despite my pounding head, my probably fractured shoulder, and the loss of the last bit of energy I had left, I laugh at him. Maybe I hit my head too hard. Maybe I have finally hitman breaking point and have finally gone mad.