Check it Off

Chapter 14
The process was slow. I remained as still as a statue for the entirety of six hours while Leo worked. Nico didn't allow himself to fall asleep, so he busied himself fiddling with Leo's tools. I think that everyone was relieved when Leo set his tools aside and announced he was done.
"It's on. I attached it as best I could." He summarized.
I slowly sat up and I beckoned Nico over. "King Hades usually activates it. Nico, since you are his son you can do it as well."
He nodded and gingerly placed his fingers on my necklace. I sucked in a sharp breath as the jewel activated. My energy was sucked out of me, collecting in the new jewel. I placed a hand behind me as I collapsed backwards.
"Crystal?!" Nico shouted, his hands grasping my arms trying to keep me upright.
"Hey!" Leo yelled.
"I-I'm okay." I insisted, grabbing my head in my hand and pulled myself up. "This always happens. In other words, you did it perfectly Leo. Thank you so much."
He grinned and scratched his head. "Yeah; glad I could help. I was worried whether I could do it or not, what with the involvement of magic and all."
Nico grabbed his jacket and slipped it on. He handed me my cloak. "Thanks, Valdez. We have to go now. You going to go catch up with your cabin?"
Leo sighed. "Nah. I told them seven hours. I still have an hour left; I'll catch up on some work I have to do. You know the way out?"
Nico nodded. "Yes. See you later, then."
"Thank you, Leo. Really." I said, sliding my hood up.
"Sure thing. Stop by any time." Leo responded. Nico began to tap his foot softly. Softly, but it was still impatiently. "Nice meeting you, Lady Crystal." He mocked a bow.
I giggled. "And you as well." With that, I followed Nico out the door.
Our footsteps echoed off the walls, as the cabin was now vacant. It was quite weird.
"What did you think of him?" Nico asked as we exited the cabin and paused on the porch.
"Leo? He appears to be a kind person. He did spend six hours of his day, ignoring his duties as counselor, to help someone he just met. It's astounding."
Nico nodded. "He's a good guy, I'll give him that." He checked our surroundings before allowing me to follow him off the porch. "Keep your head down."
We stuck to the shadows, just like we did when we walked to the cabin the first time.
"Hey, Nico!" Someone called. I resisted the urge to look over my shoulder to find the source of the call. "Nico! Don't ignore me!"
Nico ducked inside our cabin and shut the door behind me.
"Who was that?" I asked, slipping my cloak off.
"That was Travis Stoll. That idiot son of Hermes won't get over the fact that I'm not in to snow ball fights and playing in the snow."
"Why not? You're only sixteen, Nico." I pointed out.
"I'm actually eighty-six years old." He countered.
I stuck my tongue out playfully. "What ever, Old Man."
He laughed. A warm, full laugh that lit his face up. "Don't go calling me that now."
"Yes, sir. I have to respect my elders now, don't I?" I responded, unyielding.
He sat on his bed. "Whatever. Anyway, is there anything else we need to do?"
I thought for a moment. "Nothing comes to mind. I would like to walk around the camp more, though. You know, see the places that you've been hanging out at for the past two years."
He nodded, but hesitated to speak. "I knew you'd say that, but I don't know if that's such a good idea."
I pouted. "Why not?"
He sighed. "Tonight. After the camp fire, and after everyone has gone to bed. Cerberus and I have to be with you."
"Yay! Thank you, Nico!" I squealed, giving him a hug.
"Until then I want you to rest." He ordered.
I nodded. "Of course!"
I couldn't wait; I could finally see some of the mortal world. While it was just the camp, and it would be dark, I would take that over nothing.