Just Hanging

Chapter 4

Silena and I walked into the lush field talking about how things were with her and Charlie- our usual talk- but when we arrived at the tree in the corner of the field, we ceased our conversation and began to climb.

I knew that King Hades and Queen Persephone would be both surprised and disappointed if they found out I spent my free time climbing trees, but I pushed that fact aside. This was the only time I could act like a kid again, and just be free.

"So," Silena said, finding a comfortable spot on her branch. "When does he get here?"

I wasn't surprised that she knew I wanted to talk about my dad. I usually always talked to her about his arrival on the day of the queens party.

"He is supposed to be here by lunch." I responded, finding my own place on the tree.

"So you get all afternoon with him?" She asked.

"That's what Lord Hades said."

"What's wrong, Crystal? You seem more upset about his arrival than usual." Silena noticed.

"I just," I replied quietly, "I don't know if I even want to seem him. I already know he's going to let me down... I'm considering asking that he not come until the party."

Silena took a second to think that over. "Crisse, if that's really what you want, then do it. But just remember that this is the only time you ever see your father. You know that he'll be surrounded by the other gods, not to mention drunk, at the party. You won't get any personal time with him at all for another year if you tell him to come later."

I took a deep breath. "You have a point. But what if he has to leave early again?"

"Does he know how much it hurts you when he leaves?" She inquired.

"Well, I haven't directly told him. So I wouldn't think so."

"Then maybe you should. I feel like if he realizes how much it upsets you when he cuts his visits short, then he won't do it anymore." Silena said.

I gave her a small smile. "You always no how to handle these things. Thank you, Silena."

She returned my smile. "What are friends for?"

I laughed. "So, should we head back? Or leave Charlie wondering what happened to us?"

Silena acted as though she was thinking it over. "I think he'll be fine on his own for a few more hours."

I nodded. "Same here."

"Then tell me; where did you get that dress?" My best friend asked me, going in to her child-of-Aphrodite-mode.

We talked and talked about everything, just like we normally do, until I saw a guard wandering around the garden.

"He's probably looking for me." I sighed. "I'll see you tomorrow." I said and started climbing down.

The guard was, indeed, looked for me. It was time to have lunch with my father.