The Blacksmith

Chapter 13
We ate breakfast quickly. Well, I only ate half of my muffin. I wasn't all that hungry; today would be very interesting.
I wrapped my cloak around myself and pulled the hood as far as it could go. I knelt down to Spot's level. "Spot, I want you to stay here for now. I'll be with Nico so don't worry about me." I rubbed his head and rose.
"Ready?" Nico asked.
"Yes." I told him, and followed him through the door.
I knew it was supposed to spring. I was expecting warmth, but the amount of cold I was met with caught me off guard. I guessed that since Persephone hadn't been able to leave the Underworld, the world was still in winter mode. The sunlight that poured down blinded me. I hadn't been able to bask in sunlight in eleven years. Even though I was completely covered, I still enjoyed the warmth.
The camp was busy, as it was the first day of Spring Break for many demigods. Because of Persephone's predicament, snow still covered the ground. The campers didn't seem to notice nor care; they ran around throwing snowballs at each other and shoving ice down coats (those were probably Hermes kids).
Nico and I stuck to the shadows where we could, until we found ourself at Cabin 9: Hephaestus. I had anticipated this location.
Nico walked up to the metal door, but hesitated. "Keep your head down and don't talk to anybody unless you know it's safe to." He told me in a very hushed tone. I nodded in acknowledgement. Nico turned and knocked on the door.
It slid open and a male about fifteen years old with messy blond hair opened it. "Yo, Nico! What's up, man?" He asked.
"Hey, Rob. Is Leo here? I have a friend I want him to meet." Nico explained cooly gesturing to me. I shifted where I stood, feeling the boy's eyes on me. Once he realized I was a girl, he dug a rag out of his jean's back pocket.
"Yeah, he's here." He answered, wiping oil off his face. Rob swung the door open. "Come on in. Mind the tools. And careful where you step- Lily has been making a lot of dust bombs in her sleep, and we don't know where they all went."
I silently followed Nico inside and waited behind him as Rob hit a lever on the wall in the far corner. Numerous doors switched bye and finally landed on an empty door way, leading to a set of stairs. Rob motioned for us to follow him, and with Nico's encouragement, we did.
The stairs took us far below ground, which I was perfecly okay with. I stayed on Nico's heels and remained silent as the two boys made small-talk.
"So, where is your friend from?" Rob inquired.
"Why?"
"Just curious. Would you at least tell me her name?" Rob asked.
"Why?"
"Because she seems like an interesting person. How did you two meet?"
"Why?"
Rob sighed. "Forget it." He said, accepting defeat. "This way." He took an exit leading to a long hallway with five doors on either side.
The rooms that had their doors open showed me that this was a residence area. Though, most rooms had tools of all sorts covering the floor and all furniture. The inhabitents saw us walking down the hallway, and stuck their heads out to watch us pass. It made me uncomfortable, especially so when they began to whisper about us.
"Hey." Nico bellowed, sensing my discomfort. The Hephaestus children pulled back into their rooms.
"You alright?" Nico whispered.
"Yes. I understand their curiosity." I answered.
Rob stopped at the last door on the left. He banged his fist on it three times before shouting, "Hey, Leo! Nico's here to see you!"
Exactly ten seconds past before we heard locks and bolts being undone. The door swung open and a small male, about fifteen with unruly curly black hair stood before us. He had on jeans and a camp shirt, but red suspenders held up his pants. An orange tool belt hung around his waist. His elvish ears poked out from his hair. He flashed a quirky grin at us.
"What's up, Nico? Thanks, Rob, I've got it from here. Do me a favor and tell everyone we've got archery class in ten minutes." He said, nodding to our escort.
"Sure thing, boss." He joked. As Rob turned to go, he smiled at me. "Hope we can meet again so you can tell me your name." He muttered, then made a beeline for the other residents, banging on their doors and telling them about the class.
"Sorry to bother you this early in the morning, but I need to ask a favor." Nico explained.
Leo opened the door further for us. "Step into my office. If the incredible Nico diAngelo is asking for something, it must be important."
We walked in, Nico growling at his friend; "Shut up, Valdez."
The room was a bit larger than the others I passed. The bed was cleaner, but that was because the tools and supplies were all shoved to the floor. A couch sat facing the wall parallel to the door, a TV hung in front of it. A desk covered the whole left wall, blueprints and tools spread out across it.
"So, I'm going to ask: who's that?" Leo asked, pointing a small finger at me.
Nico seated himself on the bed, and beckoned for me to sit next to him. Leo perched himself arm the arm rest of the couch.
"Leo, you have to swear to me that until I say otherwise, you are not to discuss what we are about to tell you."
Leo held up his right hand. "I swear it on the River Stynx."
Nico accepted it, and nodded to me. I slid the hood off my head, allowing my face to be completely visible.
"This is Lady Crystal of the Underworld." Nico explained, motioning to me. I was surprised he used my title. "She's escaped to the mortal world as a refugee after the palace was attacked last night. The necklace she wears is a symbol of her residence there. It is what allows her to live in the Underworld. If she is to return, we need to fasten a jewel to the necklace. We need you to do this, Leo."
I felt guilty. Nico was reiterating the lie my father, Lord Hades, and I had all told him years ago. That wasn't why I need the necklace at all.
Leo sat, bewildered. "You live in the Underworld? Why would you live there? It's not a very happy place."
"King Hades is one of the nicest gods I've ever met." I defended. "He makes my living there a marvelous thing."
Leo raised an eyebrow. "Is Hades your dad?"
"Leo." Nico interrupted. "Stop asking her so many questions. Can you help us or not?"
"Of course I can." He held out his hand. "Just give me the necklace. I'll be done in time for archery."
Nico and I shared a glance. "We can't. Lady Crystal can't take of the necklace. If she does, she'll never be able to return to her home. In other words: you have to attach the jewel while she is wearing the necklace."
Leo blinked, then slowly retracted his hand. "Oh, okay. Can I take a look at both of them?"
I nodded to Nico, who then nodded to Leo. The elvish boy moved next to me, while I removed my cloak and pulled down the collar of my shirt. Nico gave him the crystal.
Minutes passed as Leo examined the necklace, pulling and moving it.
"Well?" Nico pressed.
"I can do it." Leo reported. "It will take a while, but I can definitely do it."
I sighed out of relief. "Take as much time as you need."
Leo walked over to his desk and pressed a few buttons on a small panel. The floor in the center of the room opened up and a metal table rose up. The floor locked it around it.
"Come lie down here." Leo instructed.
I left Nico's side and moved to the table. It was cold, but I didn't mind it. Leo moved a portable table full of tools next to me. After placing a chair down, someone knocked on the door. Leo cursed. "Hold on." He told us, moving to the door.
"What, Rob?" He demanded upon opening the door.
"Everyone's waiting for you. You coming?" He reported.
Leo's shoulders slumped. "Uh, I can't. Tell them you're in charge for now. I'm a bit overwhelmed with projects for everyone in camp, so I'll be holed up in here for a few hours. Tell everyone I am not to be bothered until 3:00 this afternoon."
"That's seven hours!" Rob exclaimed. "You sure you don't want any help?"
"Nah, man, I've got it." Leo insisted. "Go keep everyone in line for me, okay?"
Rob nodded. "You're the boss." He left.
Leo shut the door and the locks automatically clicked into place. He came back to us and seated himself in the stool.
"Let's get this thing started, shall we?" He asked, grinning.
"Will it really take seven hours?" Nico inquired.
"Maybe five or six. I only said seven so I can have more breathing room." He moved his gaze to me. "Try not to move. If you could somehow manage to fall asleep, that would be great."
I nodded, though I knew me sleeping wouldn't be easier for him. "Thank you, Leo. I appreciate your kindness."
The boy seemed to blush. "Don't mention it." He reached for my jewel. "Now stop talking so I don't mess this up."
I obeyed. This would be a fun five-to-six hours.