Chapter 2

MI6 Headquarters. August 4th, 2015. 0030 Hours (London Time).

Alex

"How's your arm?"

She glanced down, taking in the white bandage now covering her left bicep and seeming to scowl slightly at the bit of blood red seeping through, "Not amputated. Fine."

I nodded. We were standing in the elevator on our way up to M's office, and the air in the room seemed to tense with every second we stood silently. I found myself rocking back and forth from my heels to my toes and stopped myself before it became too obvious. I already knew she'd noticed, so I tried something else to ease the tension.

"How's Ella?"

I saw the slightest bit of movement, like she was clenching her teeth together, "Graduated. She auditioned for some traveling Broadway type thing. Don't know the name, don't know if she made it."

I nodded again and pursed my lips to keep from talking. I found myself fidgeting with my fingers and stopped quickly. She hadn't looked over, but I knew she'd noticed. She noticed everything, and it was absolutely infuriating.

She groaned, "What's wrong?"

"Huh?"

She rolled her eyes, "I've been working with you for over a year. You're acting awkward, you're fidgeting, and you're trying to make small talk. Something's wrong."

"You're really frustrating, you know that?"

She smirked, "Specialty of mine. You gonna talk, or do I have to frustrate it out of you?"

I shrugged awkwardly, "Why would they specifically order us not to view the drive's contents?"

"Security protocols. Security purposes. Obvious enough." She frowned slightly, then turned to me, "Don't tell me." I pursed my lips and she nodded, "You looked at the drive, didn't you?" I didn't answer and she groaned, "Dammit Alex! How many times do we have to go through this?!"

"I know, hear me out, okay?" I sighed, "Look, I know they said not to look at it, but honestly, do you really think I would listen to that without a verifiable reason?"

"There was a verifiable reason, you idiot. Those are security protocols. Looking at them against orders and without probable cause can get you tried of treason. Hell, it could get me tried for treason because I didn't stop you!"

"Listen." I hissed, "It wasn't security protocols."

She scowled, "That's not a very good defense."

"It's not a defense." I said, "The drive doesn't have security protocols."

She pursed her lips, "Then what was on it?"

"A list of 24 rouge agents on MI6's Most Wanted along with their charges and suspected whereabouts with proof that the charges were fabricated for each."

"If that's true, why would MI6 keep it in their embassy in the middle of an unstable country?" She challenged.

"That part I haven't figured out yet."

"How convincing."

"Why would I make this up?"

"I don't think you made it up." She replied, "If MI6 made a cover story, it's for a reason."

"Yeah, they're screwing their own agents."

"Or they're trying to protect the off-book ones." She countered, "We probably have distanced people to work outside of law barriers. CIA does the same thing."

"And if they're not?"

She closed her eyes and sighed, "Either way, you don't want to bring it up."

I bit back my frustration as much as I could. Why won't she just listen to me! I couldn't stand my thoughts, and soon the argument was pouring out of me, "What happened to you?! What happened to the girl that trusted no one; that questioned everything?!"

"SHE GREW UP!" She screamed, "There are some things you just can't push, Alex!"

"And this is one of them?" I yelled, "Don't tell me you're not the least bit worried."

She groaned, "I'm always worried, but pushing will only make this worse."

"And standing by won't?"

She pursed her lips, "If this is a legitimized operation, the fact that you disobeyed orders by looking at that drive will get us both killed. And if it isn't legitimized," She shook her head, "Then we're already screwed."

I breathed deeply, "We could be next, Emily."

She continued to stare forward, "I won't mention it. But this is the last time. Either you grow up, or you get killed trying."

We were both silent after that. The elevator dinged and the doors opened, revealing the bustling room full of desks, computers, and the cacophony of a giant chorus of indistinguishable conversations.

"And Alex," Emily added, "I don't trust anyone. Not even you."

With that she stormed out of the elevator and into the sea of government hit-men. I stood still, dumbfounded yet as suspicious as ever.

I was her age when they ruined my life, and I was going to make damn well sure they didn't ruin her too. That is, assuming she didn't kill me first.

Author's Note

I WENT TO DISNEY WORLD AND I GOT MALEFICENT MICKEY EARS! THEY'RE SO CUTE!!!!

Vote, comment, let me know what you guys think. As always, thoughts are much appreciated.

XOXO ~ Maddie 😈