Chapter 19

MI6 Headquarters. August 6th, 2015. 0814 Hours.

Alex

I let out a startled cough as Emily yanked me through the stairwell door by the edge of my shirt. A hail of bullets smashed through the door above us, one missing my head by what seemed a centimeter at the time. Emily gripped at my shirt again and dragged me to my feet before flinging me forward and sprinting down the new hallway.

Between battered breaths, I heard her spit out, "Plan C!"

"Are you kidding me?!"

"Nope."

My feet pounded against the cheap carpeting of the office space one floor down from M's office. Despite my heart's obvious wish to stop the escape and gulp down a gallon or two of Powerade, I kept running, awfully aware of the fate that chased behind me.

"Where are we going now?" I shouted.

"Other stairwell!" She replied, "You better hope to hell this works."

"Great optimism there, Little Rock!"

My heart raced even more than the dumb thing already was when I spotted the door to the other stairwell a few yards in front of us. Emily sped up to get ahead of me before she pulled her tranq gun again. We stopped just in front of the door and both took deep breaths before she eased it open, entering gun first.

I heard a single gunshot, then Emily stumbled back into the office space, cursing and grasping her forehead, gun still in her blood covered hand.

"Shit! Are you okay?" I reacted with what I later was told was the concern of a 10 year old with a foul mouth.

She shoved me out out of the doorway with both hands, revealing a bloody gash on her forehead where a bullet must've grazed. "Move!"

She dove out of the way just before another hail of bullets erupted through the new stairwell. We crawled forward and dove around a corner as bullets continued to sound across the floor. Again, I winced at the pounding in my ears as my feet slapped the ground and flung me alarmingly forward with each step away from our escape route.

"Ems, hate to be a Debbie Downer and all that, but we're kinda moving away from the way out."

She grabbed my sleeve and yanked me down another hallway, "This way."

I groaned, but sprinted after her all the same. The hall was a dead end (yay), the wall at the end holding nothing but a window and some curtains. Emily let off three shots with her tranq gun, which led to a lot of shattered glass and an empty bullet cartridge. When we reached the window, she started kicking out the shards of glass that were still hanging onto it and switched out her cartridge for a fresh one.

"We're screwed." I decided.

"Out. Now." She commanded, ignoring my obvious and legitimate concerns.

"What?! That's like a ten foot drop!"

"It's that or a wall of bullets. Go."

I groaned again and stepped onto the ledge outside the window cautiously. I grabbed the window sill and allowed my feet to drop below me until I was hanging by my arms. I let go of the ledge and dropped the extra few feet to land on the gravelly roof below. Emily dropped down seconds later, not even bothering to drop from the ledge by her hands. I scowled, "Showing off much, are we?"

She looked up and shrugged, "Not my fault you're not agile."

I looked up and frowned, "Did you leave something up there."