Chapter 13

Washington, DC. August 5th, 2015. 0930 Hours.

Alex

"How long until they get around to this point?" Emily asked.

"Should be pretty soon," Dillard said as he handed her her L85A2 assault rifle. "No way to know for sure, but should be within the next 15 minutes or so."

"You've got everything you need?" Bostick checked. Emily nodded, and he continued, "We'll be a door away. Try not to miss."

Emily raised an eyebrow as the men walked out. She shook her head and turned to the open window, getting to work setting up the rifle for the impending executions.

When she was finished, the room was silent, both of us awaiting the arrival of our prey. I couldn't help but be reminded of that moment in the HQ elevator. I don't trust anyone. Not even you. Maybe that made her smart. Maybe it made me a dead man. And maybe, just maybe, it meant she was still alive somewhere in there.

"Congrats, by the way." She said suddenly.

I frowned, "For what?"

"You won Parks' pot." She answered, "Seth officially moved into his office two days ago. He hasn't broken anything, and he's off today, so since nobody else gave him more than two days, you won."

I raised an eyebrow, "I'm surprised you're admitting it. M expected you to manipulate everyone into thinking you won."

She laughed, "I'll admit, I'm a little stubborn. But I'm not that bad! Besides, I'm a teenager who carries around her own death certificate. What the hell am I gonna do with the money?"

Her admission startled me for a second, and while I was still sorting through my thoughts, she added, "Plus, now you have enough money to buy me a drink when this is over."

I scowled, "You're well underage, Ems."

She shrugged, "I'm a fifteen-year-old, technically dead assassin. What're they gonna do? Arrest me?"

We laughed, and it was the first real laugh we'd had in a while. Granted, it was a sick laugh over jokes that would make a normal teen cry, but Emily Stone wasn't normal. She was an assassin. No - she was an MI6 agent.

It was that realization that sent my already screwed up world tumbling down.

"Ems?" I asked. She hummed in response, "Are you selling classified intel to the Chinese?"

Yes, I know. That was an extremely stupid thing to do, and I obviously didn't think things through, but have you met me? When do I ever do the smart thing and shut up, huh?

I thought so.

Her face scrunched up as she frowned with confusion, "The... The Chinese?" I nodded, and she frowned more, "Um... No. I, uh... No."