Chapter 15

Langley, Virginia. August 5th, 2015. 1315 Hours.

Emily

"You want me to do what?"

"It's really not that much if you think about it." I countered quickly.

"Not that much?" Max groaned, "Ems, a plane is a big deal. A very big deal."

"I've been telling her that for the past four hours." Alex said, "She's not budging on it."

I smacked him in the arm and proudly enjoyed his yelp of pain before I turned back to Max, "We don't really have anyone else to go to, and I can't come up with a way around it. We need that bloody plane."

Max squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed her temples, "Do you not remember how much you had to pay the CIA last time you used our planes. 55,000 dollars. 35,000 pounds, Emily! And that was after Eric negotiated the price down."

"Yeah, I get it, but this is different." I explained, "This can't have anything to do with CIA."

"Wha-" Max groaned, "Why the hell are you talking to me, then?"

"Because there's no one else to talk to." I reiterated.

"Why do you need a non-affiliated plane?" Max asked.

I pursed my lips, "It's complicated."

"Well uncomplicate it." Max scowled at my defiant expression, "How in the world do you expect me to get you a plane when I don't know what it's for?"

"We're gonna have to tell her." Alex whispered.

I glared daggers at him, but he stared right back, unyielding. He nodded towards Max. I groaned in defeat, "MI6 tried to kill us."

She frowned, "Wait, what?"

"Well, me." I corrected myself, "MI6 tried to kill me and got him mixed up in it."

She pursed her lips together gingerly, "What do you mean by 'tried to kill you,' exactly?"

"I was given orders to kill her." Alex explained.

"And I was given orders to kill him to validate the cover that I was a traitor." I continued.

Max shut her eyes, "Bu- but how do you know they didn't want to kill him?"

"Because the agents that were with us were told to make sure he succeeded." I replied.

"What happened to them?"

"I shot them. They're dead."

Max clenched her fist, "Well, you really got yourself in a big ass mess, didn't you?"

I nodded, "That's why we need the plane."

She groaned, "Ems, you should be trying to get a new identity, not a plane. You've got an entire agency after you now. You need to disappear."

"Not yet." I countered, "There's something we need to do first."

"What?" Max's face fell as she connected the dots, "You're going after them, aren't you?"

"They don't know what's happened yet." I said, "I can get in, get payback, and possibly even get some information while I'm at it."

"That doesn't matter if you get killed, Emily! There's no need to poke the bear, here."

"If I don't act, they won't back off. I show them what I'm able to do, and they have to."

She glared at Alex, "This is not what I meant by fix the problem."

He shrugged, "Well, it's the problem. You want me to fix it or not?"

Max ground her teeth together and grumbled, "You aren't gonna be able to pull it off with just the two of you."

"That's why it's not just the two of us." Alex murmured.

Max looked up, and I saw realization flash in her multicolored eyes, "You recruited Moses and his gang, didn't you?"

I nodded in response, "We have it figured out. All we need is a plane."

Max leaned back in her chair, "I don't know what you want me to do. CIA's pretty much my only resource here."

"You have hundreds of contacts." I argued, "There's gotta be someone you can talk to." Her face slackened slightly, and I could tell she'd thought of something, so I added a quiet, "Please, Max."

She sighed, "I might have one - Might! I'm not directly affiliated with them, so I can't promise you anything, but I can ask. Just don't get your hopes up."

"Thank you." I breathed, "Thank you, Max."

"Don't thank me yet." She said, "If you get yourself killed, I'm gonna resurrect you and kill you again myself."

I smiled, "Thank you."

Authors Note

Hello everyone! Thanks for being patient with the update! Hope you all are having a good weekend and a wonderful summer! 😊

I wanted to make sure I fill you guys in on the situation next week. I will be going to Leadership Academy at the Citadel for NJROTC. I report in on Monday between 10am and 12pm, and they will be confiscating my phone for the week.

If the next update is ready on Monday morning, I'll update then, but otherwise there won't be an update on Monday. I believe I am supposed to get the phone back Friday night (before our graduation), so I may be able to update Friday as well, but it's also unlikely. So there may not be any updates next week or it may run as usual. We'll see, won't we!

Votes and comments are greatly appreciated. I love to hear what you guys think! Also, go ahead and click that follow button if you haven't already! 😉

If I don't see you until next Monday, have a glorious week lovelies! Wish me luck! 😬

XOXO ~ Maddie