Chapter 11

CIA Headquarters. August 4th, 2015. 2000 Hours.

Emily

"Thanks a ton," I said sarcastically as a faceless agent removed my handcuffs as per Max's request, "But it would've been a lot easier if you just didn't arrest me."

"Then I would've gotten arrested." Max pointed out, "And I can't break myself out of prison. At least, not legally."

I shrugged in response as I slumped into the semi-plush chair across from her desk. Alex was already sitting in the one next to me, and I noticed his white knuckles grasping the edge of the chair. Had that boy never been caught before? Another CIA agent leaned against the wall behind Max's desk comfortably, his arms crossed and poker face engaged.

I scowled lightly, "So how come you get an office and all I get is a computer and a phone? Not exactly fair."

"Americans are very liberal compared to y'all. Besides," She smirked, "I'm less prone to explosions."

"And what about Seth?" I asked, "Seth gets an office yet I don't? That kid breaks everything! I don't even want one, but I'm kind of offended."

Max rolled her eyes, "We have more important matters to discuss."

My eyes narrowed, "That we do."

"Director Brennan saw the tape. He's not happy."

"How did you even get that?"

"I have sources." She answered vaguely, "Good ones. He also very pissed at me for letting you off, so I'd play nice."

"Play nice?" I spat, "Screw that. We were given a 24 hour window, and you picked us up after 12! Who's really at fault here?"

"At fault?!" Max snapped, "Who the hell blew up a goddamn building, for Christ's sake?!"

"You know bloody well that I wouldn't be that reckless. I knew there'd be no casualties. I wouldn't have risked it otherwise."

"Let's be honest then, Emily. You've been getting more and more dangerous as time's gone on, and I can respect that to a point, but bombing is a new low. Especially for you."

"Wait," said the agent in the corner, a look of confusion plastered on his face, "Back up a minute."

"Who are you, anyways?" I added.

"My handling agent." Max answered, turning to him, "You have a concern, Cooper?"

"You said a 24 hour window?" He asked me. When I nodded, his face dropped, "We had no record that MI6 had any operations on the Western Hemisphere, let alone here specifically."

Alex frowned, "Excuse me?"

"We have no record of any missions, let alone a time window." Max said, "We thought this was an off books assignment."

"Seriously?" I groaned, "This is all because of a bloody office screwup?"

"And because you blew up a damn building, Emily!"

"Oh, come off it!" I yelled, "It was a bloody closed-down CVS! It was scheduled to go down in a couple weeks anyway! Sure, it went down a little early, but no one even got a scratch. I made sure of that."

Max shook her head slowly, pursed her lips, and said, "What's your operation?"

"Classified." I said, purely out of habit.

"Well unclassify it." Max growled, "Like you said, we were supposed to have been given notice. We need to know what's going on when it's in our nation's leaders' backyard."

"You saw the video." I argued, "Shouldn't you already know?"

"Three targets. Two American, one British." I glared daggers at him, but Alex continued anyway, "First is one of your old media analysts: Frank Moses-"

"Media analyst?" Cooper interrupted, "Where'd you get that?"

"Research." I answered reluctantly, "Why? Is that wrong?"

Max looked worriedly at Cooper as he explained, "No wonder your operation went so downhill. Your intel sucks."

"Well what the hell is he then?"

Max sighed, "Frank Moses is one of the best black ops agents the CIA's ever seen. This guy's taken out governments, for God's sake."

"Yeah," Cooper said, "According to the old records keeper, apparently we 'don't make 'em like that anymore.'"

"Ouch." Max commented, "That stung a little bit."

"Dammit M." I muttered. "What the hell have you gotten us into?"

"Obviously your information's... lacking." Cooper said, "But I like pissing people off, and I know Brennan doesn't like this at all, so why not help out a little more?"

"At least we'll know you're not going in blind." Max confirmed as she turned towards me, "Give us everything you've got."

Author's Note

Sup?

ONE MORE WEEK AND THEN I MAY SLEEP! YAY!

Vote and comment and such. Make me feel loved! Jk (but not really).

XOXO ~ Maddie 💞

PS: Check out my AP World Project! It's stupid, but funny. So yay --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDxIvs7xMY0&feature=youtu.be
Enjoy our weirdness. 👌✌️