Chapter 3 - Radio Silent

I was surprised that I hadn't heard from Corpse all day, yet again. It's been three days since he helped me move in and he hasn't reached out. I flipped my phone over in my hands, after checking it for the hundredth time with no interesting notifications. I debated sending him a message, maybe he was waiting on me like I was waiting on him.

Whenever I thought about his parting words my face flushed. 'Maybe you can show me what it looks like on' echoed in my head in that deep voice of his. I ran my fingers through my hair and shook my head, trying desperately to get the memory out of my head and focus on work.

It's been another typical day at the office, nothing too interesting happened. Mel - one of the media managers I am paired with - took me out for lunch to chat as seemingly a friendly gesture, but at the end of the meal she asked if I would be able to stay late tonight. Feeling a bit stuck in the situation, I agreed. Boy am I now regretting it.

Looking around, I realized it was the first time I really stopped to notice the office and it's interior. The walls were a soft, off white colour that complimented the dark hard wood floors nicely. The windows were very large, with modern black trim. There were a bunch of plants around that I couldn't decide if they were real or fake. The coffee station had an espresso machine, as well as a standard french press. All of the desks were sleek dark wood that perfectly matched the floors, with silver office chairs that matched the iMacs we all used. The office absolutely had a high end feel to it, which gave me some imposter syndrome honestly. I don't think that I should be working in such a place, an office that is borderline cinematic in design. It just didn't feel real.

I checked the clock to see how much time I managed to force by. Not enough. It had been only ten minutes since I last checked the clock. Each second seemed to take eternity to pass. Sighing deeply I stretched for a second before returning to the hundreds of emails I needed to answer before I could leave.

"Well, see you later, hopefully, you won't have to stay here forever!" Kori said, after grabbing their coat and bag.

I shot them a smile in response "Thanks! I'm sure it won't take all that long." I lied. I knew I was going to be here for at least a couple more hours. "Have a good night, Kori!"

"Thank you!" Kori shot a grin before practically skipping to the door, eager to go home for the night. I was officially alone in the office. I watched as they shrugged into their coat and slung their bag across their shoulder, before dipping out into the cool night.

As I worked it began to get darker out, and my mind subconsciously wandered back to the night that Corpse was over. The way his muscles flexed as he worked, his piercing deep voice that I could listen to forever, the way his dark eyes lit up whenever he found something funny, and that sexy, playful smirk that felt permanently burned in my vision.

I wondered if it was simply a one-off interaction. Maybe I would only see him here when he came for his meetings with Jay Hook, and that was it. The thought made me sad, especially since it seemed like we had hit it off well. Corpse was so fascinating and mysterious. Even though we had talked all night, I felt as if I had barely learned anything about him. I absolutely overshared a bit that evening, and maybe that was what had put him off.

Finally it was time to lock up the office. I was miraculously done for the day. I was grabbing my coat and reaching for my bag when my phone vibrated on the desk. I jumped back, scared by the loud and unexpected noise. Shaking my head at my own overreaction, I reached for my phone and felt my heart drop when I looked at the screen.

'You up for some fun tonight?' was sitting on my lock screen, under the name 'Corpse.' I felt a bit relieved. I felt glad that he wasn't gone forever, but also somewhat shocked at the unexpected message. I debated what I should reply with. Do I have the energy to see him today? Maybe we could do something fun? I smiled a little at the idea of Corpse and I spending some more time together.