you weren't supposed to hear that

summary: you're blissfully unaware of spencer's feelings towards you, until you hear him talking to his coworkers.

warnings: none

word count: 782

~~~~~~~~~~

today was a great day. morgan had brought in everyone's coffee orders, you had finished your paperwork early, and jj had treated the team to lunch.

currently, you were on your way to bother your favorite technophile, when you heard low voices inside her batcave.

"i want to tell her, garcia, believe me, i do." the deep sigh belonged to spencer. "i just have no idea how."

awww, you thought. spencer has a crush!

"come on, hon, have some confidence! you're a total catch! you've got smarts, looks, what else could a woman want?" garcia assured him.

"a sense of humor? muscles?" he questioned insecurely.

you felt a little pang in your heart at the thought whoever spencer liked might care about such surface-level things like body mass.

"stop comparing yourself to morgan, sweetheart. not every guy is gonna be filled out like captain america, it's just unrealistic." penelope told him. "not even all women are attracted to that body type."

you knew all too well the insecurities associated with comparing yourself to another person, and it pained you to think poor spencer thought morgan was the standard attractive body type. you wanted to barge in and tell him that it shouldn't matter what his body looks like, it just matters what's in his heart, but that would be painfully cliché.

"how would i even ask her, garcia? do girls like subtlety or something big and extravagant?" spencer queried curiously.

"i wish i could help you there, but that depends on the girl. you know her, just base it on how you think she would react." she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "trust your gut, boy wonder."

someone rushed out of the door beside you, prompting you to move out of the way so you didn't get smacked in the head by the door. unfortunately, you had bumped into garcia's door, pushing it open to make your accidental, not-so graceful entrance.

"oh goodness, i'm so sorry!" you apologized. "i swear i wasn't eavesdropping i just... happened to overhear most of your conversation."

the room had gone silent with your unexpected entry. you usually couldn't get garcia to stop talking but now, you couldn't get her to start.

  "well, it might not be my place to say this," you tried to diffuse the awkwardness with your words. "but i think garcia's right. morgan isn't the standard for female attraction. i'm not really even attracted to super muscular guys, so it's definitely not something you should put yourself down for. and any girl would be foolish to turn you down."

you watched garcia turn to spencer and grin, excitedly clutching a file to her chest. you glanced at her confusedly, looking back at spencer to see his cheeks had gone pink.

  "uh, it's you." he muttered quietly. so quiet, in fact, you couldn't understand what he said. he must've understood your confusion because he spoke up again. "it's you."

a blush immediately formed on your cheeks, your eyes going wide. "me?"

spencer must have taken your stunned silence as rejection because he instantly lowered his gaze, scratching his neck anxiously as he spoke. "it's okay if you don't feel the same, i wasn't really expecting you to. it's just a silly little crush, really i-"

  "you think i don't like you?" you cut off his rambling; something you hated doing normally, but in this case, it was necessary.

  "i - well - do you?" he stuttered in confusion.

  "i do, yeah." you smiled. "you're a profiler, surely you should be able to detect whether i'd like to be asked out subtly or extravagantly."

he blushed harder as you quoted his exact words back to him. "w-well, based on your apparent distaste of overconfidence - as evidenced by the multiple men i've seen you shoot down due to their cocky pickup lines - i'm going out on a limb and assuming you'd like to be asked more subtly."

  "and that assumption would be correct, doctor." you replied, barely able to contain your joyous smirk.

  "would you like to go see a movie with me sometime?" spencer asked sheepishly.

  "as long as it's in one of those theaters with the reclining seats, i'd love to." you affirmed.

a felicitous grin broke out on his lips, gracing you with its presence. "deal."

  "well then it's a date, doctor reid." you smiled and turned on your heel, ignoring every urge in your body telling you to skip joyfully back to your desk.

as you left the batcave, you heard garcia's excited squeal as she congratulated spencer for asking you out. giddy with the results of your unplanned eavesdropping, you couldn't wait to go out with spence.

~~~~~~~~~~

requests are open if you want to comment them here!!