24. Girlfriend

Mo Guan Shan

The diner's rush hour coincides with Mo Guan Shan's shift and the owner informed him that it were so because he was fast and efficient with his job. At first he had issues with stubborn or rude customers so Mo Guan Shan wondered when the boss had such observation about him. Although it was enough to motivate him to do better and always come to work in high spirits.

Now he's face to face with a stubborn customer who insisted he saw hair on his vegetable stir-fry. Mo Guan Shan knew he's fairly tall compared to his classmates. He's actually only second tallest next to He Tian. And this guy's eyes are locked on him on the same level, plus the dangerous glint in his eyes made Mo Guan Shan's alarms scream danger.

"Now, what are you gonna do about it?"

Mo Guan Shan was about to open his mouth when the guy moved and all of a sudden he's falling down and the back of his head hit the edge of the next table. He heard noises and his boss' voice asking the guy to leave or he'll call the police.

When he fully regained consciousness, he heard his boss' voice, trying to talk quietly, behind the white curtain that separates them from the bed. He immediately knew he's in some clinic, figured out they're only next door from the diner.

"Boss, what happened?" That came out more like a groan. His head aches like a motherducker and his nose stung with every move. He removed the tissue papers stuck on his nostrils in al disgust.

The curtain was moved aside and his boss' wide, worried eyes peered at him like he's expecting something extraordinary.

"Do you remember your name? Do you remember me, kid? You didn't have amnesia, did you?!"

"Ah, gods, no. But I wish I did. Do you forget to feel pain too? I mean, when you have amnesia?"

The motherly doctor came into view, smiling like she's dealing with two hopelessly dumb kids.

"No, it won't make you go numb," she said with a smile. Mo Guan Shan knew her because they've seen each other several times. She even bought takeouts from the diner, once or twice a week.

"I really wanted to call the cops, you know? But you were mumbling about not calling them and I thought, yeah, better for the diner too. It's gonna give us a bad rep too, you know?" said his boss after the doctor left the two of them alone.

She told them they could go home. Mo Guan Shan only got a bad bump, front and back, and a mild concussion but nothing serious. She gave him pain relievers and reminded him to return if he doesn't feel better.

"I just. . . I can't deal with cops, that's all. And I don't wanna cause you more trouble than necessary."

"You're a good kid. But I swear to you, next time. . ." the boss said and shifted his gaze, as if remembering what took place earlier. The light overhead cast shadows that made his face look grimmer.

"I doubt he'll come around."

He Tian

"What happened to you?" was the first thing he asked when Mo Guan Shan sluggishly dumped his backpack on his table. The guy stopped for a second and stared at him blankly, as if he was never there. They stood, He Tian facing Mo Guan Shan whose half-turned body went still.

"What?"

"What the hell happened to you?" He Tian asked again. He could hear fear in his own voice. Mo Guan Shan has a bandaged head, of course he'd be shocked as hell. Things were so much better the last time they saw each other. "Do you. . . I mean---shit! You do remember me, right?"