Your Pal, Steve

New costumes. It wasn't surprising. These were probably the most patriotic we ever had. We also got a new song all about a star spangled man.

We found out the man was what the army called Captain America. He had to learn the routine with us, and I could tell he was having a hard time. He most certainly did not want to be here.

I found him one day all by his lonesome, and my heart slowed. He was unmasked drawing in a little journal. He was quite the artist. I decided to sit beside him, and he put his pencil in the note book before closing it.

"That drawing was really beautiful."

I thought I saw his cheeks go red. "Thanks it's my apartment back in Brooklyn."

"You live in Brooklyn? I'm from Brooklyn. Small world isn't it?"

He chuckled before looking at his hands. "I guess so. My name's Steve  Rogers."

"I'm y/n l/n. I'm sorry you're having to do all this. It really is ridiculous this routine."

He looked back up to me with a big grin, and I knew we were going to become great friends.

We'd been around a few times selling stocks and bonds, and Steve was having the hardest time remembering his lines. The audience was rough, and oh how I wanted nothing more than to give them a good talking to. After the show, I made sure to go right to him, and give him some water.

"I couldn't remember." He shook his head as he took the water. "At least I'm used to the laughter."

The thought of Steve going through something like this before made me boiling hot. I decided not to ask him about it, but instead I gave him a big hug.

"I thought you were the best one out there, well other than me."

I was glad to make him laugh. It made me real happy. He was so genuine. He really was the only friend I had, and he would often tell me the same.

I grabbed the bottle and put it on the table when I noticed some paper and a pen. I walked to him as I wrote searching for some tape.

"Doll, it's okay. Don't worry about it. We all forget our lines". I taped the paper on the back of that shield of his. "Here. This way you'll never forget your lines again alright."

He looked at them before looking back at me just shaking his head. "You're too smart y/n."

"Eh, I'm more experienced. Thanks for the compliment honey. Now let's get that routine down."

Poor thing. I worked his butt off, but he was starting to get the hang of it. Eventually, every crowd was hootin' and hollerin' for my little Steve. Sure, we both felt like show ponies, but I was so proud of him.

Unfortunately I knew he was still uncomfortable with it all. The other girls were silly to not give him any attention. Anyone was silly to not give him attention. Thankfully I'm not the silly kind. That Peggy Carter didn't seem to be silly either. She found him right after the last performance drawing himself as a monkey.

I didn't know what to feel. I thought that moment should've been mine, but at the same time,I felt happy someone else saw him like I did. Probably for the best cause he was always talking to me about his pal named Bucky. He's off in the army too, so I suppose maybe I'll see him one day.

I left Steve so he could have his time with Peggy. I had to go get freshened up for the next show anyway. I just sat for a while looking at the rain falling down. What a stupid idea to have those poor soldiers sitting out in the rain when they should be anywhere but here. They should all be home snuggly warm with their families. I guess I probably should've been too.

I didn't even realize the tear falling from my face. I wiped it away and touched up my makeup. I took a deep breath before going to my locker. I began to feel very off.

"Has anyone seen Steve?"

"Who's Steve?" One of the girls asked.

"He's Ca," that's when I noticed his little journal sitting where my helmet was supposed to be.

I picked it up and opened it where the pen was. It was a drawing as well as a picture of us together. On the other side it read. Sorry I'm borrowing your helmet. You can borrow my journal as a replacement. Well have to find each other in Brooklyn when this is all over. Promise? Besides, I need to introduce you to Bucky. You'll love him. I promise.

He left his address, and my heart sunk. He left me. The worse part was we could've been friends before. I only lived a few apartments away from him. I took the journal and left the dressing area. I didn't even go onstage. I knew he would be okay, but now I was alone again.

It was all too real for me when the costumes, routine, and song changed. It wasn't the same, and I couldn't do this anymore without my best pal. I quit and went home to Brooklyn taking Steve's journal as well as a few items he left behind.

It was nice to be back home. I kept his journal close and began to write to him. I'd slip the letters through his little mail hoping he'd knock on my door one day when he realized we were basically neighbors. He never came. I had the urge to take his spare key from underneath the brick beside his door. What a great place for a spare. (Note my sarcasm.) I eventually did because someone was going to eventually pick it up.

I really wanted to open up that door, but I never could manage. All I knew were the letters were piling on themselves. The war was eventually over, but I continued to write him. I didn't know if he was alive or if he was dead. I didn't know if he moved away with that Peggy Carter woman. I never met Bucky. I only saw him through pictures and drawings Steve had of him as well as Bucky's family. It was unfortunate that I never met him, because I was quiet lonely. I wanted to see if we really would have been good for each other.

I began to write short stories of Captain America hoping Steve would see them one day. They got published and became quiet popular like those comics did. They made me happy, but they never quiet filled the void you see. I never stopped hoping that someone would return to me.

If only someone had.

I hope you all enjoyed this. This was inspired by flora_chaos on tiktok. Also, I don't live in Brooklyn, and if you don't either, I'm sorry. It was just for the story. Would you like a happier ending because I can do a happy ending on a second part. Thank you all for reading, and I hope you all enjoyed it. I hope y'all are doing well too.

Buckybear. 🥀🌵🥀