It Was Just An Act

You were very excited for tomorrow night. It was the opening night for the first play you had been in since you moved to New York.

You excitedly knocked on your neighbor's door revealing your best friend Steve.

"Stevie... Guess what guess what guess what?" You jumped up and down playfully hitting his chest.

"Ahah what?"

"Tomorrow's opening night of my first play here in New York. I'm so excited. Please tell me you'll be able to make it."

"Of course I'll make it."

"It's okay if you don't though, I know your job is important."

"Y/n you're also very important okay. I'm going to try everything I can to make it. You just tell me the time and place, and I'll try my best to be there." He smiled brightly as you gave him the time and address going back to your apartment.

The rest of the day you prepared for the play. The next day you opened the door to see a little basket of goodies and a stuffed puppy.

You picked up the basket taking it inside. You took out the letter opening it.

Y/n,
Tonight's the night! I know you're going to be amazing. I will try to make it to see you. Either way I will be there in heart cheering you on. Also I want to be the first to hug you after the performance. I hope you enjoy this basket. I'll see you soon.
From,
Steve.

You looked at all the things quickly before getting your things to go to the theatre.

Once you made it to the theatre you put on your costume as the stylist did your makeup and hair.

It was close to the starting of the play. Your male counterpart, Dane, gave you a hug and you both went to your places.

~•~•~•~

Steve sat in middle of the middle row in the middle section. He was excited to see your performance. He silenced his phone as the curtain opened and you're character sat on a fake cement bench. He had to admit y/n looked beautiful in her old-timey dress.

Steve was actually enjoying the play for the first several acts. That was all until he realized that y/n and this guy were getting all lovey. He couldn't hide the look of jealousy on his face when he witnessed you kiss that man. Thankfully he came alone so no one could see how upset he was.

The whole rest of the play, he kinda just looked at his hands. When you were alone, or when you were with anyone else other than Dane he looked up and enjoyed the show. When it was just a scene with you and Dane, it made him realize just how much he managed to fall for you over the years you had become friends. They mainly only kissed or held each other, but he wanted that with you. He wanted to be the one that helps you when you were upset. He wanted to hold you when she was happy. He wanted to whisper sweet nothings into your ear to hear your cute giggle. He wanted to make sure you felt comforted when you were sad. He wanted to spend all the time he could with you. He wanted to have special moments with you as someone that was more than a friend.

When the play was over, and they had the curtain call Steve stood up and clapped for you. He knew you probably couldn't see him, but he was proud of you.

~•~•~•~

The curtain closed and you hugged Dane and all your other friends. You changed out of the costume putting on your regular clothes.

You walked out of the theatre, and you smiled when you saw Steve waiting for you.

"Steve you made it."

"I told you I would. Y/n you were great out there. I can't wait to see all your other performances."

Steve engulfed you in a hug rubbing your back. When he pulled away something looked off about him.

"Steve... Is something bothering you? You look a bit off."

He put his hands in his pockets and he looked away from you. Something was bothering him.

"Steve you can tell me anything. You know that right?"

"Are you with that guy?"

"Dane? No Stevie. Dane is just a good friend. He's got a wife and kids.... Steve are you.... Are you jealous?"

His cheeks turned a dark shade of red. "No. No I'm not jealous."

"Steve. Nothing is going on between me and Dane. It's just our characters. It's just an act. I promise. Besides there is only one man for me in my life. Well in that way anyways."

That's when you noticed his face fell. "Oh... What's his name?"

You placed your hand on his cheek turning him to look at you. You rubbed his cheek as he slowly looked at you.

"Well his name is Steven Grant Rogers, and over the years I've known him, I've grown to love him."

His eyes went wide as he realized what you just said. You smiled nodding your head, and before you could say anything else the whole atmosphere changed. Steve momentarily smiled as he held onto the hand you placed onto his cheek. Then he stopped smiling as he started into your eyes. You also stared into his eyes, and slowly you were both drawn to one another. The closer you got to him you began to close your eyes. Finally his lips met yours, and it gave you butterflies in your stomach. You wrapped your arms around his neck enjoying the moment before pulling away.

You rested your forehead on his and you felt him wrap his arms around your waist.

"I can't believe you chose me. Of all the guys out there you picked me."

"Of course I picked you Steve. I love you for all that you are. There's no one I'd rather be with."

"I love you too y/n. I love you so much."

You pecked his lips before opening your eyes pulling away from him.

"You want to go to Sal's diner for burgers and fries?" You held onto his hand.

"Sure milkshakes too, but I'm paying for it all Sunshine. First date?"

"Stevie... Fine I'd like that. First date with you and some hamburgers well cheeseburgers, fries, and milkshakes. I don't like that I can't pay, but alright."

You both began to walk to Sal's enjoying your first night together as a couple.