Would You...

Today was okay. It had been several years since high school, and you had been working at the library until some college would accept you.

Not many people had come in lately because of the war. You missed observing the people come and go as they talked about their favorite books. You missed getting the chance to know people through small talk.

You got all your things as you left the library. You closed the door, and as you turned around, someone accidentally bumped into you causing you to fall on the ground.

"Ma'am... Are you okay?" You felt them touch your arm.

You looked up and gasped, "Steve? Steve Rogers?" You let him help you up just a little.

"Y/n?... Y/n l/n..."

"Yeah... That's me." You smiled as a blush tinted your cheeks. You couldn't help it because you had the biggest crush on him since you were six years old. You didn't really get to spend much time with him, but you always tried to talk with him when you could.

"You were always so nice to me." He also looked down at his feet before looking back up to you, "I'm sorry about running into you just then."

"No. No it's fine. Really." You grabbed a piece of your hair beging to twirl it around.

"Maybe we'll see each other again." He grinned.

He was just about to leave when you grabbed his hand. He turned back around looking at you inquisitively.

"Steve... Would you... Would you like to go to the movies with me?" 

"Wha... What?" He looked awfully confused.

"Would you like to go to the movies with me..."

"I... Like a date?"  He looked at his feet once again and you noticed he was trying to figure out what to think of the situation at hand.

"Oh... You... You found a lady... You're... Umm...."

"No I'm not taken, this just doesn't make any sense to me. Why? Why would you wanna go on a date with me?" He looked back up sadness laced in his voice.

"I... I'm... Why would you ask that? Steve... I've liked you since we were six years old. You are sweet, kind, smart, respectful, and creative. You fight for what's right, and you are brave and courageous enough to stand up to your bullies and the people who didn't treat you right. It's one of the reasons I've always liked you Steve. I hate that they hurt you, but you never gave up. It's something I wish I would've have done our entire school career. Steve... I don't know how you feel about me, but I'd really like for this to be a date. If you don't feel the same it's fine... We could go as friends, or I could just be really embarrassed and go home."

He looked back up to you with red cheeks as a smile formed on his lips, "Thanks... Y/n... I've kinda liked you too for a while... Umm yeah... Yeah I'll go with you to the movies. However I want to pay."

You knew you couldn't win that fight, so you nodded hooking your arm in his own. You made it to the theatre and Steve paid for the tickets. You both sat in the middle of the theatre watching the preshows.

As the preshows continued you grabbed Steve's arm and wrapped it around your shoulder. Then you cuddled into his side. You were surprised when he tightened his hold around you.

Finally the movie began, and you were enjoying your time with Steve. Halfway through the movie though you really had to go to the bathroom.

"Steve... I'll be back okay. I need to go to the ladies room." You confidently kissed his cheek, and you giggled at his expression with the addition of your red lipstick on his cheek.

When you walked out Steve couldn't help but blush. Unfortunately his little moment was ruined when someone had to just ruin this happy little moment of his.

"That dame is with him. Hah. She deserves a real man like me." The arrogant man yelled.

Steve turned around looking at the man, "Excuse me?"

"You heard me runt. Do we need to take this outside?"

"No we don't." You entered grabbing the man's arm dragging him out the theatre.

"Really Heath? You are such an idiot, and you're disgusting. You'll never be the man my Steve is. Why are you even saying that? You're my cousin for crying out loud."

"He doesn't deserve you."

You seethed with anger, and you slapped him. "Go. Home. Heath. You don't get to choose who I'm with."

"I'm just saying y/n. There is a war going on. We both know how he always talked about helping the effort. If the kid doesn't get drafted, he's not going to stop trying to enlist until they let him in somewhere. I just don't want you to fall in love with him only to get your heart crushed. I don't want you to fall in love with him, and he goes off to war only to never return."

"It is too late for that Heath, and you know it. I love Steve. I knew I loved him the first day of freshman year when he stood up to your mean seniors friends that bullied me."

Heath sighed looking away. "You know what fine, but don't come to me if he breaks your heart." He left and didn't say a word.

"You love me." You gasped turning around to see Steve.

"Steve... I do.... I'm guessing you heard all of that." You looked down terribly embarrassed by your cousin's behavior.

"I... I kinda did." He frowned.

"Steve... I... If you ever did decide to enlist, I'd miss you terribly, but I'd respect your decision. I know you've wanted to help since we were kids. I'll support you because I love you. I know it's probably all too much, but I just wanted to explain to you because it's really important to me that you know."

"This... The feels like a dream." He chucked.

"It's not a dream. I can assure you of that." You held his hand.

"How do I know it's real?"

You smiled before leaning down to kiss his lips shortly before pulling away. "That helps I hope." You giggled.

"You know I'm really glad I went out today." He smiled.

"You and me both Steve." You began to walk out the theatre.

"Y/n.... I love you too..." Steve blushed.

You squeezed his have as you both walked out.

"Y/n... Where are we going?"

"Well we've already missed a good portion of the movie, so I thought we could just go to the boardwalk."

"I'd like that."

You swung your hand in his as you both enjoyed the rest of your day together.