I Understand

Steve had just finished another routinely show for another troop of soldiers. He sat on one of the steps as it began to rain. He pulled out a journal and began to draw how he felt.

"I'm sorry you feel that way."

Steve almost jumped when he heard the feminine voice. He turned around to notice you, one of the dancers. You still had on the outfit.

"You mind if I sit beside you?" You whispered.

"No. Go ahead." Steve scooted over and you sat down.

"Thanks. So... You feel like a circus monkey?" You frowned as you looked to him.

"Yes. You know, I wanted to help stop the war. I wanted to do anything I could to make a difference. Instead, I've just been touring around selling stocks and bonds. I haven't done anything that I thought I would be doing. I want to go out on the front line and fight." He shut the journal and looked to you. "I'm sorry... I'm Steve. What's your name?"

"There's no need to be sorry. My name is y/n. I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think I can relate just a little."

Steve raised his eyebrows in confusion. "How?"

"I wanted to be a ballet dancer, but the war was in the way. No one needs a ballet dancer right now, or they just don't want you. They need women to build things for the war. I get it. We need all the help we can get. I decided I'd try to help by actually being apart of the bigger picture. When I tried to find a place I could help, this was the place they put me in. I mean it's a costume like I'd probably wear, but it doesn't feel right. I mean it's kind of what I wanted, but I don't get anything from it. It's like the thing I loved just isn't as special anymore." You sighed taking off the hat and gloves.

"I'm sorry that happened to you, and I guess we do have similarities in our story." Steve scooted closer to you.

"It's fine. You know, I might not be able to do different dances, but you can. Well you can fight is what I'm saying. You can get your chance to go fight. You just need to make your own path to get there." You smiled.

"You know what, you're right. Thank you so much. How come we just met?" 

"I decided to speak. I'd seen the look in your eyes about how you feel. I'd see it after every performance, but I'm normally a shy person. Today I wanted to face my fears. I wanted to say that you weren't alone. I dunno." You shrugged looking down.

"Well thank you. I appreciate your kind words." Steve smiled.

"Um... I... I was wondering if you wanted to go dancing tonight? I totally understand if you don't want to. I just thought it would be nice to get away for a while."

"I... I think I'd like that." Steve smiled.

"Okay. Meet me here at five." You squeezed his hand.

You walked off, and Steve watched you until he could no longer see you. You got to your room and looked for a nice dress. You choose a navy blue dress that was shorter on the front and longer in the back. You picked black heels, and you wore natural makeup. You freshened your hair, but you kept it primarily the same as before.

You got there a bit early, and Steve was also already there.

"Looks like we both like to get somewhere a bit earlier than the planned time." Steve laughed.

"I guess so. How long have you been here?"

"Just got here like you." He shrugged walking to you. "You look beautiful by the way. You did before, but I thought I should say that."

"Oh, well thank you." You blushed. "Um... If you'll follow me."

Before you walked, Steve extended his arm to you, and you linked your arm with his own. You lead him to a car and got in. You drove him to one of the dance halls and got out.

You held his hand and lead him inside. Thankfully there weren't many people in the hall, and that's why you chose this place. In fact you went there several times a week just to dance on your own since not that many people were there.

You sat down with Steve and got something to eat while upbeat music played. You and Steve talked together while you ate. You both found out you had a lot in common.

Then Steve got up and offered his hand to you. "Can I have that dance now?"

"I'd like that." You giggled taking his hand.

As soon as you both got up, the music slowed. Steve wrapped one arm around your waist as he held your other hand. You of course placed your free hand on his shoulder. He began to lead you through the dance.

"You're great Steve." You smiled.

"Thanks. I know it's probably weird, but I leaned from movies." He blushed.

"I don't think it's weird. I think it's fascinating. In fact, I love watching movies. Movies are so artistic and inspiring." You sighed.

Steve raised up your hand that he was holding and wrapped it around his shoulder. Then he wrapped his arm around your waist with the other.

"I'm so glad someone else can see that."  Steve whispered.

"Of course." You nodded.

"I'm so glad there's someone who's like me. Thank you for being brave enough to talk with me." Steve smiled and without thinking, he connected his forehead with your own. You sighed closing your eyes, and Steve also closed his eyes.

Time seemed to slow down as you swayed together to the beautiful music. It was like there was no war, and you had a normal life spending it with someone you cared about.

"Y/n..."

"Yes."

Steve hesitated, "...Nevermind."

You opened your eyes and looked at him. Steve's eyes were clenched together, and you risked touching his face with one hand. "Steve what's wrong?"

Steve opened his eyes, and his crystal blue orbs stared into your e/c ones. "Nothing... I just... I've never been on a real date, and I'm surprised it's going so well. I just... I've felt so alone, but I finally have someone. I just don't know what to say."

"You don't to say anything." You whispered.

"Y/n..."

"Yes?"

"Can... Can I kiss you?"

You didn't say anything. Instead, you nodded your head. He gently pulled you closer, and you closed your eyes. Then you felt his lips connect with your own. His lips were so soft, and he held you like you were a piece of glass.

Steve pulled away and kissed your forehead. "You're my sunshine in these dark times. How am I'm falling so fastly in love with you?"

"I... I don't know. I could ask you the same thing." You blushed looking down.

"Really?" Steve smiled.

"Really." You nodded.

Steve picked you up and spun you around. You giggled holding onto him until he put you down. You rested your head on his chest, and he kissed your forehead.

"I promise we'll get what we want. I'll get to fight, and you'll get to be the ballerina you dreamed to be." He whispered. "Then when this war is over, I want to take you out on plenty of dates."

You smiled as you snuggled closer to his chest. "I'd like that a lot."

You spent a good amount of your time dancing with Steve. Then when you went back to camp, you kissed Steve good night and promised to talk with him the next day.