"Right."

He sits down beside me and we stay there, sitting in sort of a comfortable silence, listening to the rushing wind and the chirping crickets.

"Look—" I begin.

"I wanted—" he starts.

We both smile at one another.

"You first." I tell him, rubbing my arms. He sighs deeply, closing his eyes then stares at me before speaking.

"I'm sorry."

Here we go AGAIN.

"Benny," I say, cutting him off. "Stop apologizing. I've heard that word so much lately I never want to hear it again." I admit.

"I just feel bad. I shouldn't of prodded into your business. I didn't mean to. I was just worried about you. You didn't seem like you were too happy earlier."

Well, he wasn't far off.

"Well, you were right. Thanks for showing that you care. I appreciate it." I tell him, smiling. Maybe that was why I freaked out on him. No one bothers to ever really ask me how I feel.

Benny stands, sighing and starts walking but instead of toward the tree house he walks to the road. My eyebrow raises.

"Where the hell are you going?" I question.

"A walk." he answers, simply.

"Now?" I stammer, gesturing around to the darkness. He grins, ironically.

"I take walks in the late evening all the time." He shrugs. "They're relaxing. And they help me get tired if I can't sleep. Plus, the road has a bunch of lampposts so I can see better."

"Huh..." Is all I say. We're quiet. He gazes at me.

"You're welcome to join me, if you want." he offers.

"You promise you won't murder me?" I joke.

He rolls his eyes. "I promise. Do you want me to snag your shoes?"

"Nah," I shrug, standing from my sitting position. "I can walk barefoot."

He gapes at me like I was crazy. "Rayne. No. You are not walking barefoot in the road. What if you step on a piece of glass or something?"

I laugh at his anxiety over something as simple as my feet. I pass him and start walking down the road.

"I'll be fine."

"Rayne! No! Let me get your shoes!"

"I can't walk in those things. I'll just end up falling again."

I feel Benny beside me for a moment before a small tug on my wrist stops me. He turns his back toward me.

"Hop on." he says, referring to his back. My mouth drops.

"You can't be serious." I ask, smiling ironically.

"I'm dead serious. There's no way I can let you walk like this. And don't try and tell me you can't cause you're too heavy. You're a total shortie. I bet you weigh fifty pounds soaking wet." he jokes, eyeing me.

"Benny," I smile. "You can't— You are not carrying me."

"Why not?"

"Because . . ." I searched for words. "It's impractical."

"Impractical? You know what's impractical? Taking a night walk without any shoes."

I laugh. God, he was stubborn.

"Okay. Okay . . . I'll 'hop on' but only if I get to carry you someday."

He only grins at me with a twinkle in his beautiful eyes. "Deal."