Chapter 16: Love In The City

Start from the beginning

The staff gave them anxious and distrusting glances at first, but Adrien's smile was the key to more things than just Marinette's heart and soon enough they stepped out of the hotel.

It was a late winter afternoon. There was still sunlight, but it was obvious it would soon be dark. Adrien said that was precisely the point.

The wind touching Marinette's face was chilling, but oddly enough not uncomfortably so. It just felt right.

The teens took a deep breath. They were free, no Miraculous shenanigans required.

"Ready?" Adrien looked at her and grabbed her hand with a smile. He took her shy blinking as a yes.

"So... Where are you taking me?" she asked at last.
"To the Oldtown. The Heart of Prague. The crown jewel of central Europe."
"Intriguing" she admited.

Soon enough they quit the French street and found themselves in real Prague. You know, architecture of the highest artistic ability, hundreds of years of history, cobbled streets, nearly every building being seemingly stuck in time, that kind of thing.
Marinette noted the ornamentation on a facade of a Baroque House straigth from a history and art textbook standing across from an old Gothic jewish synagogue sitting right next to a Renaissance corner-street mansion with her mouth open. So much culture, yet mixing so smoothly and elegantly into a real beauty of a town.

The two paused for a moment. The setting sun transformed the skyline of monuments into a true fairy-tale scene...  "Welcome to Prague, the city of everyday wonders!" Adrien said, excited.

The city was packed. Not suffocatingly so, since the Streets were wider than most houses. On the contrary... It felt nice seeing people out. Not panicking. Together. Celebrating.

Marinette wondered why they were all out.

Then they saw a strange trio face them at the end of the street - three people dressed as an Angel, a Devil and a Priest with a long wise beard, tall red hat and a staff. They stopped families with kids. The Devil tried to scare the children, the Angel told them something nice and then the Priest gave them some sweets and then they were on their way. Bizzare...

Walking by the thinking Marinette, the Devil jumped up suddenly with his tongue sticking out, making Marinette scream and fall into Adrien's embrace. The Devil then sent Adrien a little innocent wink.

That was not a single occasion, no

That was not a single occasion, no. They met similar trios everywhere they went.
"I wonder what it means..." said Marinette.

"I thought you'd never ask!" said Adrien. "Today is the day of Saint Nicholas. Basically the Czech version of Santa. Adults get together and then they walk around, doing something for the kids. It's pretty sweet."

"If by sweet you mean traumatizing."

"Yeah, you could say that." he cuddled with her. "But you have nothing to fear with me." He leaned in for a kiss, but then Marinette let out a shriek and pulled him off the road. A second later a real horse-pulled carriage flew by.