Chapter 15: Antisocial

~(Y/n)'s PoV~

        After dinner, I retreated back to my room to give my sister a call. I hadn't seen her in a couple of weeks, not since I moved in with Ava.

        She picks up after a couple of rings. "(Y/n)! Bean! Took you long enough to call, how's the apartment?"

        "It's good." I say, trying not to hint at the events of the last few days.

        I can almost see her roll her eyes at that. "Well, don't be vague! How's Ava? Have you met anyone yet?"

        I bite my lip, thinking of the Daemos. She'll have to know about them eventually, right? Might as well give a heads up... just a little one.

        "I've met a few... neighbors." I state, hesitantly.

        "Tell me about them."

        "What are you, some kind of detective? Stop interrogating me, Kay!"

        She laughs on the other side and I hear Leya's voice as well. "I'm just curious. You didn't have any friends back in high school besides Ava. And as far as I've been told, you didn't make any in college either, am I right?"

        "Yeah, I know, but that wasn't my fault." I realize that I was starting to raise my voice and take a deep breath. "People could tell that I came with baggage and openly avoided me. You can't blame me for what happened around me when I was a kid, y'know?"

        Kay sighs, solemnly. "I know, (Y/n), and I'm sorry. But you can't just feel sorry for yourself, you have to go out and try to improve."

        "It's kinda hard to do that when everyone close to my age in the city seems to remember me from high school." I mutter. "Everyone except those neighbors..."

        "Then stick with them!" She exclaims. "Get to know them and when the time comes to tell them about your upbringing, you'll be better off. And besides, if they leave you can just call me and I can come over and kick their asses for you, right?"

        I try to imagine befriending the Daemos, but the thought feels so... unnatural. There's not much connecting us. We're quite literally worlds apart. Bonding with them in any real way just seems unlikely...

        "Kaaaaaayyyyyyy..." I whine, provoking another laugh from her.

        "You get the picture." She goes silent for a moment before speaking again. "Has mama called you yet?"

        "No..." My voice almost sounds like a whisper, in the vacant space of the apartment.

        She sighs. "I'm sorry, Beanie, really." She goes quiet again, very obviously trying to think of what to say. "You know how she is..."

        "I just wish that she treated us like Ava's dads treat her, y'know?" I almost smile. "Maybe not as overbearing, but getting anything out of mom would be nice, right?"

        "Well, you still have me and Leya, at least. Always have."

        "That's right!" I hear Leya yell in the background.

        A sad laugh escapes my lips before I can stop it. "Yep..."

        "Chin up, Bean!" Kay says. "Things will turn out, I promise. Let's do something together soon, yeah?"

        "I'm down."

        "Great! Text me if you get any ideas, love youuu!"

        I laugh, trying to swallow my sadness. "Love you too, sis."