Chapter 39: Stay with Me... {Rhys' Route}

~Third Person PoV~

Rhys frowned when (Y/n) began to shift in their bed. He was sure he had been quiet when he entered, wordlessly hoping he wasn't the cause. Although, at least that meant he wouldn't have to wake them himself to eat. He glances down at the bowl of soup in his hands, still hot, hoping that it would be to (Y/n)'s taste.

He slowly approaches the bed, setting down the bowl and looking to the human. Their face was obstructed by their blankets as they shifted, their heavy eyes slowly flickering open. It seemed to take them a moment to put things together in their tired state, but they soon looked up at Rhys. "Hey...?"

"Hello, Prime (Y/n)..." Rhys spoke up. "I hope you're beginning to feel better. My apologies for disturbing your rest, but Mrs. Oates believed it would be best for you to eat something to help you keep your strength." He wasn't looking at the tired human at his side as they began to lift their head. He turns on the light on their nightstand. "I can help you sit up and I'll do my best to get you back to sleep promptly."

(Y/n) felt a small smile graze their lips at his rambling. His concern was evident which was quite touching to the human. "The soup smells good..." They murmurs. "Did Mrs. Oates make it?"

"She did, but I actually provided some assistance!" Rhys states, cheerfully. The pride he seemed to take in being able to cook was all the more endearing to (Y/n). "I actually-"

"Are you wearing glasses, Rhys?"

~Rhys' PoV~

"Oh, I had nearly forgotten to tell you, I-" I look back at Prime (Y/n), more than excited to explain what had happened, but all at once the words in my head seem to disappear. I never thought I'd react in such a way, seeing them clearly for the first time, but my mind went blank near instantly.

They had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen that glowed with beautiful shades of (e/c). Their skin was soft and their cheeks were slightly flushed, the same shade as their lips. Their eyes locked onto mine and I swore for a moment that my heart could have stopped beating at the sight of them alone. Clearly they were more than worthy of their title...

"Rhys?" Their voice broke me from my trance. "Rhys? Are you alright there...?"

"I-I uh- yes, of course." I sputter out, much to my embarrassment. "I assure you, it's nothing to worry about. I was merely... caught off guard, seeing you with my glasses for the first time." I try to shake those thoughts from my head as I turn back towards the bowl of soup and pass it to them.

(Y/n) takes the bowl from my hands, placing it in their lap. "I guess that makes sense..." They remark, lifting the spoon to their lips and blowing on the soup. "I-I hope I didn't disappoint you." They flash a small, pretty smile and I embarrass myself once more, rushing to sit at their side.

"I-I assure you, Prime (Y/n), you could never..." I state, and their cheeks burn a redder shade and they look down at their lap. "I... forgive me, I didn't mean to be so forward with you, I-I merely-"

"Th-Thank you, Rhys." (Y/n) cuts me off with a small smile. "Th-That was really sweet of you to say... I don't feel like I deserve that kindness after yelling at you all last night."

I quickly shake my head. "You have no need to feel sorry, Prime (Y/n), I can assure you. It was purely our fault for panicking and causing you alarm."

"But you guys didn't know any better, I shouldn't have gotten so frustrated..." (Y/n) sighs. "I was just really, uh... sleep deprived, and-"

"Prime (Y/n), please..." I interrupt, hoping they don't take too much offense. "The others could have been more reasonable, they didn't even attempt to check if she was breathing first..." I run my temples. "You were not at fault. It was merely their stupidity..."

"You're so hard on them." (Y/n) frowns. "You're all still learning, Rhys, you've just been handling things a bit better than them. You're very smart, you know, but I can tell they're not all as much of learners as you are."

I can feel my face flush at their words. "Th-That's very kind of you, Prime (Y/n)..." I rub the back of my neck. "B-But, uh... you still aren't well. Please, finish your soup. I can leave you on your own."

(Y/n) shakes their head. "I finished the soup already, and I'd actually prefer if you stayed for awhile..."

I take the bowl from them, setting it aside again, trying to evade their gaze. "Respectfully, Prime (Y/n), you still need your rest. I don't want to disturb you."

"I promise you're not disturbing me. If anything, you make me more... calm."

My eyes widen. "I-I do?"

"Yeah, you do..." (Y/n) leans back against their pillows again, absentmindedly reaching for my hand. I hold out my hand to them, allowing them to take it. They gently squeeze my hand in theirs, making my face feel like it's burning. "You're a good cook, you know?" They speak up again as they close their eyes. "Maybe you can cook with me sometime. I can find some recipes you might like."

I smile, my eyes lighting up at the idea. "Would you? I would deeply appreciate that..." I lift their hand to my lips, gently kissing their knuckles. "You're terribly kind..."

"You are too..." (Y/n) hums, drowsily. "Lucky me to have you around, huh?"

I gaze down at them as they slowly drift off, their hand still in mind, our fingers now intertwined by my own efforts. I know I'm out of line to feel like this for Prime (Y/n). I'm out of line in sitting with them like this... yet I can't bring myself to pull away from them. With every encounter, they make Earth seem more desirable than Daemos. With every encounter, they make Daemos seem... less worth saving.

Lady Grandma would surely have my head if I expressed these feelings to her. I wonder if she would know what Prime (Y/n) is doing to me...