Chapter 39: Alone Together! {Leif's Route}

~Third Person PoV~

Leif hadn't expected (Y/n) to already be awake when he entered their room. He expected to sit by their bed and watch over them in silence as they slept peacefully, like a knight. He thinks he might've even enjoyed the reassurance of knowing that their health was improving.

But, no. (Y/n) was sitting up in bed, visibly only half-awake, and staring at him with hazy eyes. Leif was quick to shut the door behind him and go over to their bed, seating himself on the mattress by their legs. "Why are you awake? Shouldn't you be getting better?

"I couldn't stay asleep..." (Y/n) mumbles with a sigh. "And I wanna go check on Ava."

"She's fine, she's not even dead yet." Leif attempts to reassure the human beside him. "She's sleeping, like you should be so you don't end up dying either!"

(Y/n) rolls their eyes at him as they move their legs to hang over the edge of their bed. "I'm not gonna die." They insist. "I'm gonna go see Ava." Despite their persistence, they still weren't awake enough to be thinking too straight. And they hadn't gotten nearly enough sleep since they fainted initially, so naturally the moment the human rose to their feet, they stumbled and nearly toppled over onto the floor.

They surely would've collapsed if it weren't for Leif who sprang into action the moment he saw them falter. He arm caught their waist in an instant as he quite frantically pulled them back to the safety of their bed.

(Y/n) fell against him with a gasp of surprise, legs placed on either side of Leif's own as they effectively straddled the assassin. If they had been a little more awake, they might've accused him of the being intentional which it shockingly wasn't. Truthfully, Leif found himself as surprised by the position as (Y/n).

~Leif's PoV~

I couldn't explain what I felt when (Y/n) almost fell. It was a type of panic I hadn't felt since I was abandoned by my group all those years ago. I acted as fast as I could, but now I'll probably regret it. They'll get mad at me again and make me leave...

My body remained tense beneath them, waiting for them to speak or move, but they stayed quiet and motionless. OH GODS... I DIDN'T KILL THEM, DID I?!

I glance down, but before I can properly see anything, I feel them relax against me, laying their head down on my chest and properly sitting on my legs. I tense up a bit more. Normally when I touch them, their body goes stiff and their face flushes bright red, or they pull away if they get too flustered. But this time, they've settled against me willingly, and they don't seem to mind how close we are.

They feel so soft and delicate laying on me, and I wonder if they fainted again. My arms slowly snake around their waist and I open my mouth to tease them, to get that adorable little flustered reaction they always give, but the words die in my throat as their eyes meet mine.

(Y/n) stares up at me through glazed eyes, looking at me from beneath their eyelashes. Gods, were their eyes always that... hypnotic? And kinda soothing? Why can't I stop looking at them right now?

As if that wasn't already enough, they press a bit closer to me. I close my mouth again, feeling my face burn at their actions. I don't think I've ever had someone show me such deliberate signs of trust like this. Hell, it's been a long time since someone showed signs of trust with me at all. (Y/n) knows I'm an assassin, I told them myself. But... they aren't afraid of me. To think, they're actually letting me be close to them...

Normally, I love messing with them and watching their face turn completely red when I tease them. I've always known humans were vulnerable like that, but it's never been so cute before when other humans do it. But this time, they're the one making me feel so... weak. And vulnerable. Like even though I protect them, they want to do the same for me. But that can't be right? Why would someone do that for me?

"Why're you so tense?" (Y/n) finally speaks up, resting their chin against my chest. "Should I move?"

"Don't even think about it..." I reply, holding onto them a bit tighter. "And don't worry about me like that, you're still unwell..."

(Y/n) frowns at me, and their expression makes my heart wrench. Cut that out already...!

"Is it because of earlier...? When I yelled at you guys?" They ask, softly. "Because I didn't really mean that. I was just overtired and frustrated... I know you didn't mean any harm..."

"Oh yeah..." I mumble. "You're fine. It hadn't even crossed my mind..." I was relieved that they were willing to forgive me for almost killing Ava. Maybe I should've told them that, but they don't need to know I was worried. Instead of giving them any chance to question it, I lay back on their bed, taking their body down with mine.

They let out a soft squeak as they lay on top of me, but they still don't move. Their eyes just stay locked on to mind and their cheeks tint a light shade of pink. Cute...

"Should I leave you alone? You still need to sleep..." I mutter, as reluctant as I am to go since I'm finally be holding them like this.

(Y/n) let's out a small groan and tugs at the collar of my human shirt. "Don't even think about it." They mimic me, quietly. They hide their face again, pressing their cheek against my chest.

Pride swells in my chest and I hold them tighter as they start to doze off. (Y/n) really isn't like anyone, no Daemos or human I've ever met. They're so different, they're... special. I have to make sure they're treated well. I'm their knight after all. I chuckle at the thought. A royal this rare deserves nothing but the best~!

I have to protect them for as long as I can...