Chapter 26

After almost one hour of conversation with Thomas, Ana succeeded in getting the deathly vial from him. Both Minerva and Severus were confused about the strange conversation between them, about the secret that Thomas dreaded the most, but they dared not to insist on knowing the story.

Minerva called the Aurors to get the vial. They would take their time to arrive at Hogwarts, but, in the meantime, the headmistress and Severus kept the vial in a safe box while Ana and Thomas shared a confidential conversation on the couch of Minerva's living room. Ana asked Severus to prepare a calming tea for Thomas while Minerva used the Floo Powder to call for the Aurors. That way both of them were away and Thomas could open up with Ana.

Ana never dealt with such a situation. Of all people she had helped, Thomas was the first she encountered with such worries.

"Most people in your situation worry about how their friends are going to react when they tell the truth," Ana started. "Some will be surprised and have loads of questions or don't know what to say, others might even guess it already."

"I have a friend that asked me a few years ago if I was gay," he thought aloud.

"Maybe he'd help you overcome your fear of telling people... Uh, you might want to think ahead and prepare answers to questions like "how do you know" or "how long have you know", things like that," Ana rambled on, trying to help the kid realizing that the only way to free himself was to come clean, stop hiding his feelings. It will only consume his heart.

"I'll be the joke of the year in this school," Thomas lamented.

"Perhaps," Ana said. It's true, kids are mean with people that are different. "People fear or mock what they don't understand. They can be mean sometimes... But it will pass, and you will get the upper hand, ya know? Besides being free from that secret, you'll have me as your friend to help you against anyone who tries to mock you for something so beautiful as love. Love is nothing to be ashamed of, Thomas."

Thomas looked up at Ana, and the look on his face broke her heart.

"Take me and Severus for example," she smirked. "Do you know how many times I heard people asking me why I wasn't with someone of my age? Someone younger? Less... grumpy and crusty. I've been mocked by it, and I have no idea why."

"Really? I've always thought you were a cool couple," Thomas replied, perplexed about what Ana said.

"I think that too," Ana chuckled. "But, you know what? My happiness is none of their business. Like you, I am different, Thomas... I mean, come on, I'm the blood daughter of Voldemort and adoptive daughter of Albus Dumbledore. That gotta be more freaky than you liking boys."

Thomas laughed between his tears, which made his clear blue eyes glister even more.

"Yeah, you're weird," Thomas said.

"And I am proud of it," Ana concluded.

They both remained smiling at each other in silence, processing their conversation. Severus, who had brought the calming tea Ana asked for, overheard them but decided not to interrupt. After a long period of silence, Thomas spoke again.

"What about my parents? They are going to kill me."

"They are not going to kill you, Thomas."

"Yes, they are... I don't even know what to tell them... How to tell them..." He continued babbling on about how they have very strict rules and how they always protect him from the world, diminishing his beliefs, ideas, or feelings. Ana knew how parents can seem resolute, how they can transmit the wrong idea just by acting in such a severe way. But, from her personal experience, that doesn't mean they don't love their children. Sometimes there is something else behind that behavior, or sometimes they just don't know how to express themselves. "I can't speak to them... I can't handle their judgemental gaze."