Chapter 27

"What kind of potion?" Clark asked.

Severus didn't move, flinch, or assert a word. He was staring at Ana as if she was a ghost. As if she said the most offensive thing in the world.

"A very harmful one..." Ana's lower lip trembled as she spoke. "I couldn't get involved with Severus... Intimately, I mean. If I did, I'd be sick and, most likely, die, slowly and painfully, Dirk said. That's one of the reasons why I left... Because I knew I wouldn't be able to stay away from him."

Minerva gasped at Ana's words and her eyes fell on Severus' numb expression.

"Well, then we must try to find a way to reverse a spell while it is still torpid. We can have a team to help you --" Clark said, jumping alarmed as Severus began yelling at Ana.

"What the bloody hell, Ana? Why didn't you tell me? Why did you hide it from me?" Severus shouted, shaking Ana by her shoulders. In so many years Ana met Severus, she never saw him that angry, that desperate. His dark eyes turned even darker, something she never deemed possible, but the red veins filled with deranged blood were more conspicuous. He understood what Ana meant by her words. He knew what was going to happen and he was hopeless. "Why did you do this??? You could have stopped it!!!"

"How could I stop it? Would you be able?" Ana shoved his hands away from her shoulders and pushed him away from her.

"I don't fucking care!!!" He took a step towards her.

"What? What is wrong?" Minerva questioned, placing a hand in front of Severus' chest to stop him from approaching Ana. The look in his eyes actually terrorized her. He was blind by fury.

Ana looked at Minerva, opened her mouth, but no words came out. Her throat was dry, there was air confined inside of her lungs, hindering her from breathing properly; her heart was hammering quickly inside of her chest; millions of thoughts were traveling at the speed of light in her mind.

Minerva was waiting for an explanation, while Clark and Kingsley were silent, not knowing what to do or say.

"We were together last night," Severus rustled, his eyes never moving from Ana's face. Slowly, the reality of what happened was taking over the raven-haired man, which was making him lose control and allow a few tears to escape his eyes.

"What do you mean together?" Minerva asked, even though she already knew the answer.

"We made up for the lost time. Several times, so..." Ana replied almost inaudibly, seeking to hold her tears.

"The blood you showed me, it is yours, isn't it?" Severus questioned. "That is why you did not want to answer my questions."

"Yes," she replied. "I have been trying to find something to cure it, but I can't... And -- and the idea of living a life without you it's way worse than dying with you holding my hand."

Minerva widened her clear eyes which were filled with tears falling to her cheeks. With a nod of her head, she gestured Clark and Kingsley to leave the office with her, in order to leave Ana and Severus alone.

The heavy aura in the room was more painful to bear than ever. Ana and Severus didn't vocalize a word even after the rest of the people left the room. 

"Severus..." Ana whispered, walking closer to Severus. 

"How could you do this to me?" Severus sat on the steps in front of Minerva's desk, with a completed defeated posture.

Ana didn't know what to do or what to say instead of crying noiselessly while Severus gazed at the floor, deeply lost in his thoughts as tears cascaded from his eyes.