Chapter 31 : New Year, Same Me

We boarded the Hogwarts Express at Kings Cross as we said goodbye to Hermione's parents. Hermione held Crookshanks in her arms as I found us an empty spot on the train. Closing the door behind us, Hermione released Crookshanks to roam around the cabin freely, as we sat across from each other, looking out the window.

Hermione was already studying for Ancient Runes as I watched her eyes roam the page as they squinted in concentration. She sighed lightly as she tilted her head to the other side, eyebrows raised as her eyes remained on the pages.

"Yes?" She asked, catching me off guard.

Stunned, my mouth opened and closed as I shrugged. "What?"

She licked her lips, turning to the next page in the textbook. "You've been staring."

I smirked egotistically. "Have I?" She cracked a smile as her eyes finally lifted from the pages to meet mine. I pointed towards the book in her hands. "It's just you're studying already and we haven't even gotten there yet."

She clicked her lips as she closed the textbook, holding it in her lap as Crookshanks wiggled between her feet. "I like to be prepared."

"We only have five classes this term Hermione along with our N.e.w.t.s. That's half of what we usually have to take."

"Which are the hardest tests we'll ever take in our lives." She scolded.

I held up a finger. "False. The hardest optional tests we'll ever take in our lives."

She glared at me as she rolled her eyes, opening the Ancient Runes textbook back up. "You're taking it and that's final. N.e.w.t.s are what employers look at when considering applications for employment. The better you do the better the job opportunities after graduation."

"So?"

Hermione looked back up from her book again shocked as she scoffed. "So?" She looked like she was going to throw the book at my head. "So. You should study and do well enough to be giving those job opportunities."

Rolling my eyes, I started to become annoyed. "Why's it matter? No matter how I do it is still going to be hard for me to find employment thanks for the war so why do you care so much?"

Hermione's stern expression remained as her eyes softened. "I care because I want you to succeed. Is that so wrong?" I looked down to my feet as Hermione got up to sit next to me. "You're not going to go through it alone. I'll be by your side every step of the way. Through classes, studying...even during the N.e.w.t.s. Remember? McGonagall approved separate testing for you and allowed me to read the questions for you out loud. McGonagall is Headmaster now so hardly any Professor is going to overrule her."

We were interrupted by some students knocking on the cabin door as they slid it open. They all eyed Hermione in awe and admiration as they toppled over one another. They each expressed their joy for what she did last year and treated her like a celebrity. They left, giddy and nervous before eying me and their expressions fell into ones of hate and disgust, an action not going unnoticed by Hermione. I gritted my teeth agitated. That was already the twentieth time since arriving at Kings Cross this has happened. Students of all years and families running up to Hermione, and anyone part of the battle last year, but mostly Hermione since she assisted Harry in vanquishing the Dark Lord. They all treated her like a goddess as I was treated like a demon.

"Is this going to happen all year?" I hissed.

Hermione's eyes shifted to me sympathetically. "It'll die down soon. They're just over excited now that the war is over."

I shook my head. "They treat you like a hero and me like I'm the villain. That's not the first death stare I've been giving while they've admired you."

Hermione grabbed my hand soothingly, trying to change the subject. "They can think negative all they want, it won't change my feelings for you. Besides, half of the student population that still remains at Hogwarts saw you take a beating for not just me, but them as well."