Chapter 43

JANE'S POV

I drew Claudius into one of the rooms after Ferracco stormed out of the garden in fury. That had marked the end of the celebration and the guests had filed out gossiping among themselves. I couldn't believe they were the same people who had came to share my joy.

I turned to face Claudius furious.

"I have been meaning to ask you this .Why did you lie that Ferracco wanted to build casinos on that land?," l exploded.

A bitter look overtook his handsome face.

"You have always wanted to ruin him. And now that you are succeeding, you are complaining! ," his voice held an edge of mockery.

I ran a hand through my hair and heaved out a huge frustrated sigh.

"If you were honest with me from the start. I shouldn't have made this mistake and leaked his information. Ferracco wanted to build an orphanage! ," l cried at him.

Claudius stared at me stunned by my sudden outburst.

"I knew you would waver like this. That's why Silvia suggested l lie to you that l would be fired and you bought that," he said bitterly.

I gaped at him stunned.

"So you and Silvia plotted to use me , " l gasped feeling betrayed.

His steel grey eyes held an evil glint as he snickered. Suddenly it was like seeing him for the very first time. I couldn't recognise the man standing in front of me. His once warm eyes were now filled with hatred and despise.

Hot tears gathered in my eyes . I felt guilty swirling inside me . l did that to him!

"I would even join hands with the devil himself just to ruin that bastard," he said in a voice filled with sarcasm.

"Claudius," l whispered as tears flowed down my cheeks.

"I will ruin him for stealing the only thing that mattered in my life. You Jane ! ," he exploded again.

"Claudius, don't turn this vengeful for someone undeserving like me. Leave it to me. It's my battle."

A look of fury crossed his features.

"Why are you even defending him? Oh! I see. That fool got into your senses again and now you are his latest plaything in bed," he spat out.

I swallowed trying to repress my mounting anger at his bitter words.

"You will not speak to me in that manner , Claudius!," l warned him in a stern voice.

Claudius stifled a mocking laughter and then stared at me intently.

"I will have you back at all costs. And l mean it , Jane."

He stormed out of the room leaving me gasping at his words.

~****~

FERRACCO'S POV

I poured myself a glass of whiskey and took a huge gulp. The burning sensation of the whiskey on my throat did nothing to calm down my nerves.

"Meu dues ! I can't believe Jane stabbed you in the back like that . She pretended to be a good person. I never thought she was this sly and cunning fo.."

I shot Bianca a glare and she immediately closed her mouth.

"You will not speak of my wife in that manner, Bianca ! ," l warned in a stern voice.