Chapter 60

JANE'S POV

I was in my office working. I couldn't believe Ferracco had asked me ...in fact ordered me to quit my job and take care of myself and the baby. I had to stand my ground to win the argument. I couldn't imagine spending the next six months cropped up at home doing nothing. Ferracco had even went to the extent of threatening to buy my company and then as my new boss he will fire me from work.

Ridiculous , l know!

But l didn't doubt his words. Ferracco could be persistent when he chose to. So we settled on me working for two more months before l officially became a housewife and then after the baby comes , l will join Moretti chains on hotels to work alongside Ferracco.

Ever since the family learned about the baby , l have been pampered so much especially by Ferracco. Elena was over the moon over the prospect of having a baby sibling. She was already searching for baby named. I had denied most of the baby names she proposed because they sounded like cartoon characters.

I looked up when the door burst open and a heavy breathing Claudius walked in.

"You got to help me , Jane!"

I stared at him in surprise. He had declined my calls ever since that night he found out about the baby. I had gone into a temporary depression as l wondered if our friendship of years had suddenly came to an end.

"Calm down , Claudius and tell me what it is," l asked him in a worried voice.

His face looked pale and he was panting. I handed him a glass of water and he gulped down the entire contents.

"Silvia is being childish and unreasonable," he cried out in a frustrated voice.

"Did she refuse to give you custody of the baby?"

"She is refusing to marry me. You are now her friend. Please talk some sense into her!"

"Do you love her?," l asked him in a serious voice.

He ran a hand through his brown hair.

"This has nothing to do with love. We are having a baby in a few months. A baby, Jane!," he cried out in a hysterical voice.

I couldn't believe Claudius was being this shallow. I had always thought him the most reasonable man.

"Then l am afraid , l can't help you," l told him in a final voice.

His eyes widened.

"Why not?"

"Marrying a woman because you feel responsible for her is the worst reason ever. Women hates to be treated like charity cases especially by the men they love. A wedding is every girl's dream before her vision of love is tainted by the world. They all dream of getting married to the man of their dreams."

"But she almost married Ferracco. They didn't love each other," he argued.

I smiled sadly at him and laid my hand on his arm. Poor Claudius! How can he be so blind to Silvia's feelings for him.

"It's different. You are the man she loves and Ferracco was only a business deal."

~****~

SILVIA'S POV

"Jane, where are you? I am already standing outside the restaurant," l sent the voice note to Jane . l had tried calling her several times but the call sent me to voicemail every time.

I impatiently tapped my shoes against the pavement waiting for her reply. We were supposed to meet at this restaurant for dinner. A young couple emerged from the restaurant , their arms linked and laughing animatedly at some inside joke. I felt a pang of longing as l watched them walk away till they disappeared into the gathering darkness. I brushed away the disturbing thoughts. I had already accepted my fate. Love and romance were not just for me. They now paled in comparison to my unborn child.