There was a sinister air of tension between the brothers. Something in their stance and the way they were glaring at each other didn't seem like it was new-founded. It was more of a look that held a grudge for ages.

A loud ping in my phone pierced through the thick blanket of animosity and silence in the room, but I did not dare look at it. Instead, I let my eyes fall on Christina who had an equal worried look plastered on her face. Her soft and brown eyes were fixed on the brothers as she dragged her perfect white teeth across her plump bottom lip.

"You can't seriously think that I had to do anything with this? You're insane," he gave Carter an incredulous look, a muscle ticking in his jaw. And in one swift motion, he pushed Carter away from him, his breaths coming short.

Carter seemingly, having caught off-guard, staggered a bit - his hip knocking the small wooden pen-stand off the glass table, causing it to land on the ground with a hard thump.

"Well brother, you can't seriously expect me to put anything past you," Carter hissed at him, his blue eyes darkening with anger.

I soon realized that this accusation was more of a family feud than anything to do with the present situation. Feeling the desperate need to break this unnecessary family drama, I spoke up.

"Guys seriously. Cool it off. We could do this testosterone match later on," I grumbled.

I heard a slight snort from Christina, who soon covered it up with a cough - considering the seriousness of the situation.

Carter gave me a steely glance - his blue eyes lacking its natural playfulness, and instead, replaced with a raging storm.

Cameron raised his hands in mock surrender, an easy smile smoothly slipping onto his face.

"I never started it," he shrugged as his lips quirked up, despite the brooding situation. That was the thing that I liked about Cameron. He always knew how to lighten up the mood, even in the darkest of situations when everybody else would have given up on hope.

And so unknowingly, a small smile took over my lips, but that was soon wiped off when I saw the everlasting scowl on Carter's face.

"Where were you then?" Carter snarled at his brother.

"I could ask the same to you," Cameron replied, his grey eyes once again turning vicious.

Surprisingly this time, a smirk lighted up the corner of Carter's lips. His blue eyes had turned an inky shade, and the thunderous look in his eyes was replaced with a knowing glint.

"I was with Chris, little brother. She called me for a lift because," his chilly gaze fell upon me, "Hazel was busy," he intentionally dragged on the last word, indicating the purpose of me being busy.

My blood boiled and my palms itched to slap him again, but I knew that it would be irrational of me to do that now. So, instead, I focused on Cameron, who had an agitated look on his face.

"Fuck. Fuck!" He growled. His grey eyes glimmered in the bright light of the basement as a look of astonishment overtook his features - like he just realized something. Fisting his palm tightly, he slammed it straight onto the yellow wall behind him - causing a small crack to form on the surface, just where his fist collided.

Both Christina and I gasped at his unusual behavior. This was not the calm and collected Cameron that I've grown to known. I let my gaze slide over to Carter, who had an impassive look on his face. However, his jaws were clenched shut and lips pulled into an excessive thin line. His grip on the glass table beside him caused his knuckles to turn white and he looked as if he was containing an enraged hurricane within himself.