Chapter 20

Chapter 20

       The murder mystery was not going well for the others. They were still trying to find out who it was, but most of them was accusing Maddox. Remi was smart enough to give Maddox an alibi that sounded fake, which only made everyone suspect him even more.

       It only gave Maddox the opportunity to try to find more clues to prove his innocence, so he had been searching a whole lot for anything.

       It has been an hour and a half since it started, and Ray was starting to get a bit restless. Not because he wanted everyone to solve it, but because he didn't like being cramped up in a room unless he had something to do. And he said he really wanted the thing they had planned after to start.

       Vinny noticed that Ray was starting to get restless, so he said, "I think we should give them a hint. They're too stupid to figure it out."

       "I wouldn't call them stupid," Taio said. "Maybe they just don't know Remi as well as Archer does."

       "That's fair," Vinny said. "I still think we should give them a hint, though."

       "Yeah, I agree," Remi said, leaning towards the microphone of the intercom. He held the button. "Hello, everyone. I am a police officer here to give you some updates in the case. It appears that Maddox's alibi checks out. He is not the killer."

       "That's the hint you're giving them?" Taio asked. "Seriously?"

       Remi covered the microphone. "Shh, I have more. I just think it's fair to turn them away from Maddox. Mason yelled at him enough." He moved his hand away from the microphone. "Anyway, think outside of the box. That is all."

       Taio rubbed his forehead. "Think outside the box? You know, Maddox not being the killer is a bigger clue than telling them to think outside of the box."

       Remi groaned. "Ugh, fine." He turned on the microphone again. "Also, I gave you guys a pretty big clue shortly after the lights turned back on. Like so big I'm surprised you didn't notice it right away. Good luck."

       "What was the clue?" I asked once Remi turned off the microphone.

       "You know that picture I sent?" Remi asked. "The one of Ray and Kotaro to assure that they're safe? I left my high school baseball varsity jacket in the background. If they looked closely enough and didn't only focus on Ray, they would have seen it."

       "To be fair, I would only focus on Ray."

       "Because you're too in love with him."

       "True."

       "Oh, looks like Maddox found another receipt," Vinny said. "The one that says 'cheap hair dye' on it."

       Remi glared at Vinny. "It just says hair dye. My hair dye isn't cheap."

       Vinny shorted. "Sure."

       "I still think it's Maddox," Nico said from the security cameras. "French, hair gel, hair dye."

       "Hey, the cops confirmed my alibi," Maddox said. "And yeah, I may dye my hair but I don't use hair gel. Stop assuming it's me."

       "And just because someone enjoys French food, it doesn't mean that they're French," Giovanni said.

       "Yes, thank you," Maddox said.

       "I just want my son back," Mason whined. "And this is starting to get boring. We've been here for a long time and there aren't any clues yet. And what does it mean to think outside of the box?"