Soul Mates

Have you ever made one decision you have regretted for the rest of your life? One moment and I ruined my entire love life.

My quirk was called string weaver. It was the same as my mothers. I could see and manipulate the red string of fate. The red string was a small red thread tied around the little finger that connects you to your soul mate.

Most children cut their bangs when they are little but i did something so much worse. I cut my string. My mother looked horrified as the rest of the string faded away just leaving the stunted nub of a string on my finger.

I sigh looking at the string dangling from my littlest finger. I had about 3 inches of it dangling there. The problem is without my string I notice I'm lonely. The world is cold even in the summer sun. I feel so alone even with people. I can only hope my soul mate doesn't feel the same. The cold is what really gets me. I'm forever freezing.

The breeze nipped at my fingertips. I tuck my hand into my warm pocket while I head into the mart for something to warm me up as much as I can from the cold.

The smell of hot dog that has been on the roller for who knows how long seemed to attack me. I could only crinkle my nose as my face seemed to sting from the temperature change from the summer sun to the cooled mart. The cashier waved happily and I did so back headed to the drink aisle. I turn toward my favorite snacks only to hit something solid and stumble to the ground. A man in a large hoodie and cap looked at me concerned.

"You ok?" He helped me to my feet.

"Ya, sorry about that" I stared at his hand. Something was off. It didn't feel right.

"It's fine, I have no problem with cute girls falling for me" He smiled.

I smile back feeling my ears warm looking into his shades just seeing my reflection look back at me. I took note of his large backpack and gloved hands. I stop and stare at his hand realizing I couldn't see a string.

I smile sadly. His soul mate must have died. His string black with just the small loop holding on with no connection left. He seemed so young too. He looked to only be my age.

He looked at his hand that I was staring at confused, "something wrong?"

"Um... well no. I guess not. Sorry to disturb you" I walk on to get what I came here for.

I reach for the last meat bun only to watch it get snatched. I make eye contact with the shades again but this time anger boils in me. I try to grab the bun but he was quick to lift it high above his head.

"Nuh-uh I've had a rough workday, this is mine" He huffed at my behavior.

I jumped to grab it again missing and pulling at his sleeve. Our skin touched faintly and my fingertips felt warm.

Did he have a heating quirk? Either way he let his guard down and I managed to pull down his arm to steal the meat bun. I hurried to the register and left after paying, eating my treat.

A month passed when I got an odd letter in the mail.

Dear (Y/N),
It has come to our attention that you are required of our asset. You are required to come to the address listed below by the 11th at 7pm.

The letter had an official government seal. I squinted at the letter. What the hell had I done. This letter was so suspicious but if it is the government I had to do it. The 11th was tomorrow. Talk about a turn around time. I can go after work.

I looked up at the large penthouse before checking the listed address again. I wrap my scarf tighter around myself. Before knocking on the door.

The door swung open with enough force I was almost sucking inside from sheer pressure. The number 2 hero stood in the doorway looking wild-eyed.

"You. You're her?" He asked

"Um...im me? Depends on who's her" i look confused.

"The meat bun!" He pulled me inside

I feel even more confused. Why is a pro hero talking to me about meat buns.

He looked frustrated as he tried to gather his thoughts. He lunged for my hand grabbing it but i quickly pulled it back.

"What the hell?! I came here under government order, not for whatever this is" I motion to him in his frayed state.

He ran a gloved hand through his hair. He was still in his hero outfit minus his jacket and headpiece. He looked stressed. His eyes met mine with a sudden determination. His wings wrapped around me making me feel trapped. He reach again grabbing for my hand.

I shut my eyes at the contact. My other hand stung after striking the mans face. I peeked an eye open to see his stunned look.

His wings moved in closer and the panic returned. His arms wrapped me into a tight embrace. It was warm.

I've never felt this warm. I wanted to melt into the embrace. When my senses returned I put all my force into my arms and pushed him away. I felt myself lose balance and fall to the floor.

The hero looked lost and confused. His eyes seemed to search for reasons and words.

"Listen. I can't explain it. I'm so cold. Everything is so cold I can't take it anymore. I don't know what your quirk is but your touch is so warm" Tears brimmed his eyes before a sob racked his body. His knees gave out him sobbing looking in pain, "Ever since I felt your touch I can't stand it anymore. I never realized just how lonely I felt. I lived fine but now I feel like I'm suffocating in space"

My eyes went to his gloved hand. I peeled the fabric off and stared at the string. Only a 3 inch lead before an abrupt end. I look to meet his pleading eyes. My heart ached. He was my soul mate. He has been cold and alone all this time.

I ran a hand across his cheek making him flinch only to nuzzle into my palm holding it close.

I sat on his couch having discarded my bulky jacket and scarf to the side. He sat next to me his fingers laced with mine. His face was still a little puffy but he was no longer crying.

"You deserve an explanation...my quirk lets me see the red string of fate. Basically, I can see soul mate connections. The only problem is...I can cut them too. When I was young I cut mine and effectively...my soul mates as well"

His face held confusion before sudden realization, "So...we're soul mates?"

"Yeah"

"And this feeling has been because of a cut string" He stared down at his hand as if expecting to be able to see something.

"Yeah..basically" I confirm

I could hear him mutter under his breath soul mates a few times. His wings surrounded me again before he pulled me into his lap pressing my back against his chest.

"Why do I feel warmer the closer you are?" His head buried into my neck.

I could feel the heat rise to my face, "I don't really know..."

"Can you fix our string?" he laced his hand with mine again.

"...Not that I know of" I looked to our strings

"How do I know this isn't a lie"

The question stung but was reasonable, "I can't really prove anything...Just the cold when we are separated"

(Part 2 may or may not. Not really feeling this one)