Demon part 5

The following days travel was long. The forest was thicker in the center and more corpses littered the ground, many squished down from old vines having been placed there that have since been removed.

When we finally reached the clearing the feeling of guilt was heavy on our shoulders. Stepping over bodies young and old takes its toll on the mind.

"So... where do we go from here?" I ask looking at the large portal

"A small village by the sea" she smiled pressing her hand to the stone side of the portal before it opened, "There we can rest"

I smile at the thought of rest. When we stepped through the portal i saw the sky blazing pomegranate and orange tones over a quant seaside village. She walked on as if this wasn't the most amazing sight in the world making me haphazardly follow loosely gripping her sleeve so I could continue looking at the colors stretching across the sky where the sun kissed the earth in the distance.

When she stopped i bumped into her back muttering an apology. We were at the door of one of the houses.

She didn't even knock before the door burst open and a woman pulled her into a tight hug, "Oh my baby's come home!"

"Come on mum, you act as if I never visit"

The woman sighed letting go, "I never know if its your last"

"You worry too much"

The woman and I made eyecontact and her eyes seemed to sparkle, "And you bringin home a fellow? Without warnin ya mum first?"

"He's just a lad" she flushed at how the woman eyed my hand gripping her sleeve

"A lad indeed. Well, pipe up, whats yer name boy?"

I stiffen realizing under pressure i forgot my own name until it comes back, "Keigo maam"

"Bah! Don't call me maam, just call me mum" she winked

"Mum!" (Y/n) huffed

"What's it harmin?" Mum smiled

We were ushered in and promptly given a good meal.

Readers POV

"So how was the trip?" Mum questioned

"Bone forest again" I grumble forking at my food absently

Mum perked up, "And?"

"...The dog"

Mums eyes widened looking between me and Keigo, "Keigo dearie"

Keigo perked up, "Yes?"

"Come, I'll show you to your room. I have some things to discuss with my daughter"

She took him to the guest room and returned promptly speaking in hushed tones sitting back next to me, "A test of loyalty. How'd it go?"

"Im not dead so I'd say good" I shrug

"Do ya think-"

"I don't think...I hope, Kei wouldn't betray me" I play with my fingers

"Well you know as well as I that a demon-"

"He's not just a demon mum, Keigo is my companion"

"Companion? And what type is that? Travel, romantic, or magical aid?"

"Well I...he's...mum he's bonded to me" I admit shyly

"Bonded!" She stood, "You can't be serious!"

"Mum...it won't kill him" I try to soothe her

"But it will lessen your time!"

"There isn't much anymore anyway"