16 | thirty-eight candles

Start from the beginning

            "Pretty!" Rocky said, jumping onto her bed and sitting down.

            "Are you sure?" Miles' shoulders relaxed despite the question.

            Jensen nodded. "Positive."

            "'Cause he had this pink shirt—"

            "No pink!" Rocky said.

            "Miles, you look handsome," Jensen said. "Why are you so worried?"

            "Because you're you and you're gorgeous and—" Miles held a hand out and moved it up and down. He dropped it at his side. "I mean, look at you in that dress."

            Jensen looked down at what she was wearing. Pink and yellow roses printed across burgundy fabric. Loose, except for the band just below her chest. Long sleeves, also loose. Jensen grabbed it from her press tour wardrobe because it looked comfortable for sitting for over an hour in a theatre. A pair of untied sneakers were on her feet. She looked back up at Miles.

            "I've seen you clean up puke in your boxers at three in the morning," Jensen said. "And you've seen me leak milk from my—"

            "Rhodes, I'm being serious."

            "So am I." Jensen walked over to him and kissed his cheek, a hand on his chest. "You look good."

            "You're sure?" Miles' eyebrows knit together.

            "You look great." Jensen kissed his nose. "Handsome." A cheek. "Beautiful." The other cheek. "Do I need more adjectives?"

            "Maybe more kissing would help."

            Jensen laughed and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "You might need some shoes."

            "You might need to tie yours."

            "I was hoping my gorgeous husband," Jensen started, walking back to their bed and sitting down, "would tie his very pregnant wife's shoes for her."

            Miles smiled and walked over to her. Bending down on one knee, taking a foot and placing it on his thigh. He tied the shoe quickly and did the same to the other one.

            Miles took her hand and kissed it. "Better?"

            Jensen nodded. "Thank you."

            "Doesn't your mama look pretty, Rock?"

            "Pretty!" Rocky said, sliding off the bed and jumping on Miles' back. He let out a grunt, but clamped a hand around her arms so she wouldn't fall off him. "Like a princess!"

            "A princess?" Miles said. "Hear that, Rhodes?" Miles kissed the top of her hand. "A princess."

            There was a knock at the door. Miles' eyes widened and he turned.

            "Can you please adjust miss Rock, Rhodes?"

            "Shoulders?"

            "Sure."

            Jensen lifted Rocky and sat her on Miles' shoulders. He got up walked to the door, opening it.

            "You ordered a couple babysitters for a birthday?" Definitely Scott.

            "Lookin' good, Milo." Clearly Maddox.

            Miles snorted. "Room's all yours. Rocky's had her nap."