19| Someone Fancies Me. Maybe.

Start from the beginning

My box of crystals. He couldn't have picked a better time.

"Sweet, I'm hooome-" he froze when his eyes caught Vel's purple ones. "Vel?"

Three of us went still for a full minute until I shook my head and stood from my chair. "Jaxton, what are you doing here?"

It probably looked pretty obvious from my eyes that I was alarmed. My gaze flickered between Jaxton and the dark box he carried, and I couldn't help but tense up.

"I... um..." he spared a glance at the box he held.

"Sweet?" Vel blurted, a look of surprise, "are you two dating?"

"No!"

"Not yet, at least," Jaxton helpfully added. He raised the box, "I brought back your art box."

"Art box?" Vel's eyes sparkled. "You do art, Cassie? Nice!"

I allowed a nervous smile to blossom, "ah, yes, as a hobby..."

Jaxton calmly placed it on the wooden buffet and flopped himself on a nearby chair, "I see you two are having a nice chat."

Vel's instantly plastered a smile on her face, expelling all of her previous nervousness and fear, "don't change the subject, I didn't expect the balcony-visits with Cassie!"

Before I could retort, Jaxton had a look of amusement on his face.

Oh, don't you dare-

"Our relationship," he gestured between us, "it's complicated."

I almost choked, "excuse me?"

"We've been on and off," he hooked his elbow over the backrest of the chair, "we would have our arguments but we would always find a way back to each other."

I had to put down my cup of tea before I spilt it, "that's not true."

"See? She's doing it again," Jaxton narrowed his eyes, a grin on his face, "it's okay, sweet. Break my heart, I'll stay strong.

Vel covered her mouth to stop herself from bursting into laughter while a wild blush, as red as the flames of hell, erupted on my cheeks.

Oh god...

Vel chuckled, "I don't know if Jaxton is telling the truth, but that interaction was too funny."

Phew! At least the sister knows!

"At least you know how he's like," I sighed.

"Still doesn't explain why he's popping into your room," Vel shrugged and stopped my retort with a raise of her finger, "I understand, you don't have to tell me. As Jaxton said, it's complicated."

Oh, those pair of devils...

I let out a frustrated groan and flopped back down on the couch, muttering curses under my breath.

"Hey, what sort of paintings do you do?" Vel said, a curious glint in her eye. She placed down her tea. "I take Art as a subject here. Can I see your art box?"

Jaxton and I both tensed.

"You don't want to see it," Jaxon was the first to blurt.

"You two are acting suspicious," Vel raised a brow. "What's in it?"

I quickly added, "well, I gave it to Jaxton and he's probably made a mess of it. Did you?"

Jaxton nodded slowly, relaxing back on the chair, "indeed, I did."

"Why does Jaxton need it? He's a science nerd!" Vel stood up from the window seat. "Are you two hiding something from me?"

"How do you know I'm not doing an experiment with it?" Jaxton also stood up, blocking her way. He leaned close to her, placing his elbow on her shoulder. "Besides, Velvet, I'm thinking there's some confession you need to make."