Take Me Home With You

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry," I say softly. "I shouldn't have asked that, right?"

He shakes his head, releasing my hand to rub his lips. "No, it's not that. It's just that I really don't want to talk about that right now."

I should have known. Blaze would never open up to me.

I nod. "I get it." I stare at my fingers, suddenly feeling cold and empty without the warmth of his palm. We'd still be holding hands if I hadn't brought up something I wasn't supposed to. It's like walking on thin ice when it comes to him. You never know what may tick him off.

His phone vibrates from his dashboard and my eyes lift to it, immediately noticing April's face on the caller ID. My stomach leaps as if it's actually my mother who's calling. April has that motherly-disciplinary-aura to her, giving me the same apprehension my mom would.

Blaze picks the call up, glancing in his side mirror as he overtakes a slow driver in front of us. "Hello?"

I can't hear what she's saying on the opposite end, but I see when Blaze's lips form a mischievous smile. "Yeah, she's with me..."

I narrow my eyes.

"Yeah, we are in the process of having sex."

I gasp. "Blaze!"

I gesture to grab the cell from him, but he shifts away, biting back a grin as he throws his head back in amusement. "Talk to you later, April."

He hangs up with a laugh, and I frown at him. "Why did you tell her that?"

He shrugs flippantly, still wearing his amused smirk. "Well, it's not entirely a lie. We were being naughty earlier, weren't we?"

He bites his lip and peers over at me, and my face blooms as I look away from him.

"We didn't have sex though."

He laughs. "Yeah, but we came close."

"No, we didn't."

"Yes, we did." His eyes cloud with lust as he slants his head to look at me, and butterflies gather in my abdomen at the smoky gleam in his eyes.

When he looks at me like that, it's hard not to become a pile of mush.

I point my gaze elsewhere, and he grabs my hand back and places it to his cheek as he points his focus back to the road, pressing his horn repeatedly at the sluggish driver in front of us. "Move the fuck up," he mutters, and the car immediately increases its velocity.

He glances over at me, then looks away, and a small smile tugs at his lips. "Don't worry. April knows she can't trust my words. I don't always tell the truth."

I gaze over at him, his remarks perplexing my mental state. He doesn't always tell the truth?

My thoughts are cut short when I notice that we have arrived at his house. He turns into the driveway, and I am instantly swamped by memories of that night of the party; particularly the moment we got locked in his room.

He parks his car and I climb out of it, my heart beating oddly when he extends his hand toward me. I can't get used to our skins making contact; it still gets my heart racing out of control. I slide my palm against his and he gently squeezes it as we move toward the mahogany doors of his house.

While he dips into his pocket for his key, I glance around the surroundings, taking immediate account of a lady sitting on her porch just next door to us. Her face is etched in a deep scowl while she leers at Blaze, and when she sights my curious eyes, she gathers the hem of her dress and gets up, disappearing inside her house.