xxx. the quarterback

Series Five. Episode Three. The Quarterback.

*Seasons of Love performed by the New Directions*

(Ruby comes out with Santana, Mike, Kurt, Tina, Mercedes & Puck and is in between Mike and Kurt. Ruby sings Tina's solo line)

IT HAD BEEN THREE WEEKS SINCE THE GLEE CLUB HAD LOST THEIR GREATEST FRIEND. The moment the news of Finn Hudson's passing reached their ears; those who had come in contact with him, no matter how long they knew him. Knew one thing for certain and that was from that moment on they were going to spend the rest of their lives missing him.

Ruby hadn't left the house apart from his funeral in three weeks, she physically didn't have the strength to go about her life when everything reminded her of her best friend. She kept reliving the moment in her head when she found out. Burt knocking on her front door and collapsing into his arms as she screamed bloody murder. Her parents rushing over to find the two of them huddled together on the floor by the front door and then all traipsing next door where Carole rushed to the brunette's side as they cried together on the sofa.

This week, everyone had decided to return to McKinley for a special memorial just for the glee club to honour Finn. The choir room was filled with friends both new and old but the room had never felt so empty as it did when Ruby stepped foot in it, her hand securely in Sam's as they went and took their seats in between Mike and Santana.

The kids watched in silence as Mr Schue wrote 'Finn' on the board in big letters before turning to face them. Usually he would have a big grin on his face or a funny anecdote about the theme but today was different. He wasn't entirely sure how he was supposed to speak to them about what they were feeling when he hadn't even addressed how he was feeling himself about what had happened.

"I'm so glad so many of you could make it back for this."

"We wouldn't miss it for anything Mr Schue." Mike spoke up quietly, reaching for Ruby's hand.

"The funeral was for everyone but I wanted to do something just for us. To memorialise him the only way we know how, by singing. All week long. Anyone who wants to come up and sing -- maybe a song he sung, maybe something that reminds you of him."

"Singing isn't going to bring him back." Puck interjected.

Everyone looked down at their laps, unsure if they had it in them to speak up and defend Mr Schue when it seems he was trying push them through their grief. But Ruby managed to pull her eyes away from her lap to look towards Puck, who took his place in his usual seat behind Finn and looked at him with sad eyes.

"No, it's not." Mr Schue sighed, coming to sit amongst them. "Nothing is. Not ever but... for two minutes or so we can all remember the best parts of him. So, think of what you want to sing, if you want to sing? We'll start tomorrow."

Mercedes abruptly stood up and brushed herself down and made her way to the front of the choir room. "Oh. I can't wait until tomorrow Mr Schue. I've been bawling for three weeks. If I don't get this out now, I don't think I'll ever stop crying." She stopped to look at her friends for a moment but continued before she broke down again.