Part 10

We arrived at Harry’s apartment complex and parked along the street. We got in the lift and went to the third floor. When the doors opened, we could already hear music blaring. We found flat 303 and opened the door.

The apartment was dark and smoky. Colored lights flashed across the room, and there was a DJ set up in the corner.

We carefully maneuvered through the crowd of people and towards the kitchen. There must have been at least a hundred guests in the apartment. I had no idea how Harry could afford such a nice place, or how he knew that many guests. We reached the kitchen and Niall immediately poured himself a drink. Liam, who had volunteered to be the designated driver, helped himself to a soda. I grabbed a cup and filled it with coke. I took a sip and grabbed the bottle of rum. Just need a bit of liquid courage I thought as I mixed the alcohol into my soda.

                With our drinks in our hands, we made our way to the designated dancing area. I sipped my drink and looked around for someone I would recognize. I couldn’t see Harry anywhere.

                Before long, a blonde girl approached Louis and asked him to dance. Niall and Kimberly trailed off towards the snack table, which left Liam and I awkwardly standing among a crowd of grinding couples.

                “Hey! You made it!” A familiar voice called from behind me. I turned around and was relieved to see Harry. He was wearing a white button down shirt and skinny jeans. He held a cup in his hand and he looked like he was already slightly intoxicated.

                “Great party!” I yelled over the music. I took another sip from my cup.

“It’s just getting started! Wait until everyone gets pissed. Then, it’s a party!” Harry laughed.

                I was about to ask Harry about how his neighbors felt about the noise, when I was interrupted by a short brunette girl. She walked behind Harry and wrapped her arms around his waist. Harry spun around and embraced the girl before leaning down and tenderly kissing her lips.

                I felt my heart stop beating. There was a lump in my throat that I couldn’t swallow. Of course I knew there was a possibility that the real Harry wasn’t in to me, but I hadn’t thought about him having a girlfriend.

                “This is my girlfriend, Courtney” Harry smiled as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

                “I’m Liam, and this is Jess,” Liam spoke up.

                “Nice to meet you!” she smiled.  I couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she was. Her light brown hair cascaded down her back. She was wearing a pretty black dress and bright red lipstick. Her eyes were a bright blue color and she had some of the longest eyelashes I had ever seen. How the hell am I supposed to compete with her?

                I finished off my drink and excused myself from the conversation. I headed back towards the kitchen and browsed through the bottles of alcohol. I finally settled on straight up vodka. A poured a little in my cup and tossed it back. It burned as it slid down my throat, but it felt so good.

                I went to take another shot when I felt a hand on my back. I jumped slightly and choked on my drink.

                I turned around and saw Harry laughing at me. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

                “It’s alright,” I coughed, the vodka sticking to my throat.

                “I didn’t take you as a heavy drinker,” Harry said, gesturing towards the open bottle on the counter.

                “It’s my first party since the accident, so I thought I’d go all out, ya know?” I said, struggling to keep my voice steady. It was still hard to believe I was having a conversation with the real life Harry.

                “Accident? What accident?” He raised his eyebrow.

                Right. Only the Harry I saw in the light knew about the accident. “Um, Liam, Louis, Kimberly and I got in a pretty bad car wreck.”

“Pretty bad?” Louis interrupted as he stumbled into the kitchen. He was already so trashed he could barely stand up straight. “Try fucking awful. You…dead lady” 

“Where’s your girl, Lou?” I teased. 

“Apparently she doesn’t appreciate my great sense of humor” Louis slurred. He took another sip of whatever was in his cup. “I don’t need her though.” 

At that moment, a familiar face walked into the room. “Zayn buddy!” Louis yelled.

Zayn shook his head and laughed. “I see you’ve found the booze, eh?” He gave Louis a hug and turned to Harry and I.

“Great party, Haz. And nice to see you again, Jess!” He said as he led the intoxicated Louis out of the room.

“Let’s catch up soon!” I called after him. Zayn was one of Louis’ best mates, but he was always busy on some new adventure. He was hardly ever in town, and if he was, he was usually swarmed with so many women that he was impossible to chat with. He was beautiful, to say the least.

I turned my attention back to Harry, who was shaking his head and chuckling. 

“I didn’t know you knew Zayn?” I said.

“We met on a holiday in Greece. Nice lad” Harry mumbled as he finished off whatever was in his cup. “So, uh, dead lady?” He raised his eyebrows at me.

His attention caught me off guard. “Oh, yeah. Well, I was technically dead for a few moments after the accident. Then I had some heart thing so I was rushed into surgery and died again there. Other than that, I just broke some ribs and my ankle.”

                “Shit,” Harry said as he ran a hand through his curls. “You’re alright now though?”

                “Yeah. I’m feeling much better. I’m ready to get back to my normal life,” I smiled.

                Harry smirked and patted my back firmly. “In that case, let me make you a real drink.”

                I watched as his hands grabbed a variety of bottles. He poured the liquor into two cups and handed me one of them.

                “Cheers,” I smiled as I lifted my cup. Harry mimicked my motions and took a large gulp from his cup. I tasted mine and grimaced slightly. It was strong, but delicious. I finished my drink and let Harry pour me another one. And then two more after that.