Part 2

I couldn’t feel my body. Everything was dark. I was scared, but also strangely relaxed. The darkness was calming. 

Suddenly, a bright light emerged through the darkness. What was the light? My mind raced, trying to understand what was going on. I was reminded of the countless movies I’d seen. “Don’t go towards the light!” they would say. I couldn’t help myself, though. The light was warm and inviting. I felt myself being pulled closer, like there was some sort of magnetic attraction. The light got stronger and stronger, enveloping me in brightness.

I squinted my eyes until they adjusted to the overwhelming light. In the distance, I noticed a tall figure slowly walking towards me. He continued walking at a leisurely pace. I tried to call out to him, but my words were trapped in my throat. He got closer and closer until I could finally make out his face. 

The boy was young—probably around my own age. He had curly brown hair that hung messily around his face. His piercing green eyes were framed by long eyelashes and his lips looked soft and pink.

The boy smiled and reached his hand out to me. I instantly felt compelled to take it. I had no idea who the boy was, or why he was here with me in the bright light, but there was something in his eyes that made me trust him.

I extended my hand. I wanted to go wherever the strange boy would take me. Something told me I’d be safe with him. I’d be happy with him.

Before I was able to grasp his hand, I felt my body convulse. I jerked backwards and the boy’s hand slipped from my fingers. I felt myself being torn away as if a giant vacuum was pulling me back. The light grew more and more distant and the boy was out of my sight. I was back in my lonely darkness, and I could hear screams of panic all around me.