Part 13

*From Harry’s POV*

I listened to my feet rhythmically hitting the pavement. My breathing was heavy, and I could hear the blood pounding in my ears. Though I had my earbuds in, I barely paid attention to the songs that were playing. I focused on my running. Right. Left. Breathe. Faster.

My mind wandered as I turned the corner and sprinted past my workplace. That’s where I met Jess. No. Stop that. Faster.

I sprinted a few more blocks. Sweat was rolling down my back, leaving my white shirt nearly transparent. Just a few more blocks until home. Except, when I was home, I was alone with my thoughts.

I hesitated shortly before making a sharp left turn. I decided to run a few extra kilos today. I had nothing better to do. As I headed down the street, I instantly regretted my decision. I saw a familiar face. I was hoping he wouldn’t recognize me, but no such luck.

“Harry!” the boy called after me. I bowed my head and pushed myself to run faster, pretending I didn’t notice his calls. He was a persistent little bugger though. He got up from his table outside of the coffee shop and began chasing after me.

I urged myself to go faster, but I was already going as fast as I could. Niall easily caught up to me. He tugged at my shoulder, startling me. I stumbled over my feet and skidded across the sidewalk.

“Shit mate, didn’t mean to scare ya” Niall said as he helped me to my feet. 

I dabbed at the scrape on my knee, which was starting to bleed. “It’s alright,” I mumbled. 

“How’ve you been?” He asked. “I haven’t heard from you since the party.”

Before I could answer, a girl came running up to Niall. “Thanks for leaving me there,” she laughed, slightly out of breath.

Niall laughed. “Sorry, babe.” He wrapped his arm around her waist. “You remember Kimberly, right?”

I nodded, but Kimberly cut me off. “I remember Harry, alright. He’s the jack wagon that kissed my best friend then never called.”

I felt a lump forming in my throat. I forgot that she was so close with Jess. “Its…its not what you think…” I started.

“Oh, so you weren’t just being a major ass?” Kimberly snapped.

“No! I mean, yes but uh..I didn’t…I didn’t mean…” 

“I’m not the one who needs an apology.”

I stared down at my bleeding knee, unsure of how to respond. 

“Come on, Niall,” Kimberly ordered as she continued down the street.

“Bye Harry,” Niall said as he retreated after his girlfriend.

I stood alone on the sidewalk, unsure of how to proceed. Of course I felt like an ass for not talking to Jess, but it was complicated. I was drunk. I just split with my girlfriend. I wasn’t supposed to be falling for a new girl so soon! Yet, there was something about her… 

Before I could overthink it, I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and sent a text to Jessica. “We need to talk. Dinner tonight?” I typed. I threw my phone back in my pocket and finished my run back to my apartment.