8TH SHOT PT.1

The light flickered for the umpteenth time over Lisa's head, like that typical scene in one of those horror movies, a cue for the impending encounter with whatever scary creature that was made the title. However, at the moment Lisa was far from scared, she was in fact annoyed as she was trying to read the expiry date printed on a carton of almond milk in an aisle at a convenience store in the heart of Seoul. The bucket hat and the mask made it worse as they shadow the already poorly-lit area. She internally cursed herself for forgetting her glasses again despite her bifocal problem. If it weren't for the girl she loved, she would be anywhere but here, risking being caught by dispatch for a carton of milk and some snacks. Especially after her long absence, her return would surely be a feast for the public to consume. Just the thought it already made her grimace.

She hastily made her way to snacks area after making sure the milk was still fresh, determined to complete two more tasks: grab some chips and granola bars and get out of here asap. Once she spotted the shelf, she reached for a bunch of granola bars and shoved them into the small basket in her hand. It was while she was scanning an array of chips brands when the intro of a song she knew too well started playing. A verse of crispy acoustic guitar plucking before Chaeyoung's voice filled the air.

Tukhamyeon geochin maldeullo nae mame sangcheoreul naenohgo
Mianhadan mal hanmadi eopsi tto na honja wirohago
Oneul harudo hoksi nal tteonalkka neul buranhae hae
I just want you to stay

"Fuckin' universe," the Thai swore and shook her head as if to shake off the avalanche of memories ambushing her head. No, she had come this far. She couldn't let her defence down, let alone have a meltdown. God knows how hard it had been for her to get to where she was today. After immeasurable amount of tears, sweat, sleepless nights, and supports from her loved ones, she could handle this. She was prepared for this. She kept telling herself that until a voice that used to be her lullaby rang and pang against the cavity of her heart.

Jeomjeom mudyeojyeo ganeun neoui geu mupyojeong soge, oh-oh
Cheoncheonhi naeryeonohjamyeo geoure soksagigon hae, whoa-oh
Nal dangyeonhage saenggakhaneun neojiman geuge neodawo
Geuraedo stay, stay, stay with me

"Yet you fuckin' left," Lisa couldn't help herself saying under her breath. Apparently, it was still too much. Like how are you supposed to react when life gives you lemons right into your still open wound? Make a tall glass of fucking bloody lemonade? Forgetting the remaining items on the list she was predetermined to get, Lisa headed straight to the cashier, intended to get out of the store as fast as possible because it felt like the place was shrinking that she found it hard to breath.

Too bad, somebody was in the middle of checking out that she had to wait. Fidgeting behind the person, her patience was wearing thin. It was when she looked down that she realized her left shoe lace was loose. She squatted down to tie it, but the sight in front of her distracted her. A pair of black Gucci slip on, in contrast to a pair of milky legs. She stared for a while, sensing the familiarity when the legs suddenly turned around, facing her. The Thai quickly tied her shoe and sprang up, and the too familiar scent tickled her nostril. It's her. The said fucking universe with all its twisted plots placed Lisa right then and there intersected with the one she had been using her all her might to avoid, the one she had been trying to move on from for god knows how long.

Caught like a deer in the headlight, Lisa was petrified. Meanwhile, the other girl just glanced at her for a second and made her way out. At that moment the younger girl realized that she was wearing a mask and a bucket hat, practically hiding herself from everyone's eyes.

"Miss?" The checkout assistant's voice brought her back to the present.

"Oh, sorry!" Jerked back to reality, Lisa said a little too loud for her own liking which stopped the previous girl from her tracks.