XXI: Dark Blueberry Eyes

Bath, London. DECEMBER 1893.

Since a year ago, living in Bath was a blessing with a blend of tension. Because it was near London's capital city, Ayako Yamaguchi had to stay at a small house outside the city area. This precaution was to ensure her complete absence from anyone. It was by luck that she wasn't the headline in newspapers for years. News of her treachery was a long time ago and a secret affair between two powerful countries. Once outlets unveiled a-year-ago drama, decades of diplomatic relations between Japan and Great Britain would turn into dust.

Aya's friend, Elizabeth, was always here for her. She told her the eventual drop out without saying the actual reason, but as she was from a group of aristocrats, Aya couldn't help but be pessimistic.

"Aya, I am glad that we are having our own time this Christmas Break," Elizabeth smiled at her as they had cocoa in a shop nearby. This season, they had to wear thick clothes to prevent frostbites, and what Elizabeth felt impressed on her first look after a year was Aya's sense of fashion.

"Thank you. I miss talking with you, so I get to invite you here," Aya replied as she rubbed her hands on the mug for warmth. She drank some of the cocoa and remembered the reason why Yui loved this shop.

After seconds of silence, Elizabeth began the conversation. "I hope you come back to the university. Your true reason here is to study education for your home country, right?"

Aya froze and didn't take a sip. She took a deep breath before she replied. "Yes, but there are personal disputes that I need to handle first."

"That's strange," Elizabeth looked at the architecture around them—a city that Aya wasn't supposed to be here, "you are supposed to be with the Steinfeld family, right? You are considered a temporary member of the family. I tried to contact you through them, and I hadn't received any information, especially from Mr. Kujo himself."

"Mr. Kujo..." She stared at the half-empty mug, and thoughts of the young man returned swiftly. Aya had to be lucky that her blush was hidden, "I feel bad for him for having no tutor. I don't know when we will meet again."

"I see," Elizabeth finished the cocoa inside her mug and wiped her mouth with the tissue beside them, "but I hope you will come back to London soon. Diego and I miss you so much. We don't have a smart student around to help us with the studies."

Aya picked the fountain pen from the pocket of her coat and opened its cap. "I can provide you the address if you want to—"

"Aya."

Aya was stunned by the voice of her mentor as rushing footsteps approached her. She looked behind and saw the middle-aged Japanese woman. She wore a coat, but her buttons were not appropriately placed, making it evident that it was rushed.

"Aya, you need to come home. Mr. Binosty is already here," Yui announced loudly.

Aya stood up and closed her fountain pen to return it to her pocket. "Mr. Binosty? Is he back from his ambassador duties?"

Yui chuckled. "Yes. We have to go to his residence once he arrived, remember?"

The younger's eyebrows raised, and replied, "oh, I forgot. I need to say goodbye to my friend."

"Your friend?" Yui watched Aya spoke her goodbyes to Elizabeth. She paid attention to the Elizbeth's gestures and expressions as Aya emptied the cold cup. When Aya was done with her business, Yui led Aya back to their small residence outside the city.

Elizabeth watched them in suspicion and facepalmed herself because she didn't extract crucial information about her absence. Still, one thing she knew today was there was someone outside the Steinfeld family accompanying her.