0: Ten Years Ago

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events, is purely coincidental.

*The suggested age to read the book is 16+ as it contains minor themes of violence and abuse. Reader discretion is advised. Warnings will be placed in every chapter that contains at least one of them, which are considered as last warnings before showing the text itself.

**This story is ongoing and unedited so expect a lot of inconsistencies and unparalleled events. Major editing will start after the last chapter is released (around Spring 2021) so please give me feedback, reactions, and suggestions! They really mean a lot to me. :>

***For very latest updates, follow me on Twitter @/ClinoZhebsT

August 2, 1882. It was a day when everything went to an unfavorable twist.

On a clear Monday night of August in Port of Kyoto, Japan, a large passenger ship from Shanghai was about to touch the seaports as hundreds of passengers were about to disembark from the said ship from days of traveling in the sea. As they, along with the ship attendants, rushed to prepare their things, there was an exclusive family on board that everyone on the port was excited to see from first class to third class.

Count Tsuki Yamaguchi recently signed off from his ambassador business in London more than two months ago. He would focus on national affairs and raising his only son Fumishi Yamaguchi, an eleven-year-old who had his life dedicated to learning his father's knowledge in politics and securing the future title as Count (or maybe Marquess if his father did well.)

But Tsuki had a deadly secret that everyone in the world didn't know—he had a daughter with the same set of characters as Fumishi, but hidden in the thick curtains, treated as a precious price. In his cabin with his wife Hana, he rushed out with his suitcases as soon as possible once he got a glimpse of the port.

"Tsuki, we are told not to go yet," Hana scolded her husband, "the ship isn't aligned on the port for now."

Tsuki didn't stop in his tracks despite his wife hurrying behind him. He didn't mind her loud strides as he knocked on the door loudly to fetch his son.

"Fumishi. We have to go now," Tsuki demanded.

On the other hand, inside another cabin, the room was neat from being chaotic at the beginning. Fumishi seemed to be ready as he had the same attire as his father—black suit jacket, white shirt, and brown round hat on his messy head. He was the tidiest person among the people staying in this place. He locked his suitcase by himself and placed it upright for him to pick up its handle. He looked back at his younger sister, who was watching through the window. Without hesitation, he walked towards her, but his tutor's command stopped him.

"Fumishi, I will take care of her," his tutor told him. She moved her head to the leaving direction, making the young boy sighed in dismay and left the cabin with shivers on his skin.

Now there were three in the room, including Fumishi's mentor. Yui Tanaka, a Japanese woman who recently entered her thirties, was tending her only son Yuuto to prepare for the arrival. Yui placed a flat hat onto his head and fixed the straps that held his pants. She gave him the dearest smile she ever gave, but Yuuto's eyebrows remained furrowed.

"Mom, how about Aya-chan?" Yuuto pouted and asked, pointing at the nine-year-old girl at the corner of the cabin sitting on the opposite side of the chair. She had a lovely red dress placed over the white long-sleeved faced at the window and watched as the port came closer to view.